Thread: star wars rpg map

Guild Apprentice

Wip star wars rpg map

Not Sure where I'm going with this - it's been a while since I've done any mapping. I'm trying to remember all the tips and tricks. I'm Dming a starwars adventure and i needed a home base. this is about an half an hours playing around.

the striped things are lifts. might put a mesh texture in the middle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base.jpg 
Views:	3017 
Size:	686.3 KB 
ID:	12067  

Great start. Could you provide a little more description for where this "home base" is located? From the sand/dirt on the entryway, could it be Tatooine? How big is the group that this base needs to house? Do they have a starship? [Ok, silly question for Star Wars.] What kind of starship do they have? Something to help me get the feel for what you are going for.

I assume by your post that you're looking for feedback. May I suggest some objects in the base to give each area a sense of meaning. Computer consoles for a command center, bunks for the crew's quarters, a starship or vehicle for the hangar area, etc. That would also help to give it a sense of scale. I usually look for objects at the Holocron, Dundjinni forums, RPGMapShare, or the WotC forums.

I like your idea of putting a mesh texture on the lifts. At the least, put a metallic texture on the lifts to make them stand out.

I play SWRPG and the maps I've posted are geared toward Star Wars. Also, if you're looking for some quick maps (or maps to use as guides), I have found that the SW Miniatures maps are good. Several SW Minis maps are at the Holocron if you want to review them for ideas.

Guild Apprentice

thanks for the links, I'm a little ahead of myself as the books are still in the post. I just wanted to get back into mapping. It probably will be based in tatooine. as for the number of player - 4 at the moment. the base will be a little run-down as it is a starting group. I'm going for an abandoned facility look. The previous owner of the facility sold it cheap and in an upcoming adventure the players will find out why. To your other point, yet I am looking for suggestions/criticism as it helps in getting the map finished.

Guild Apprentice

I've Been mucking about with the floor - haven't had much time in the last week. Added some models from rpgmapshare.com.

Name:	base2.jpg 
Views:	1865 
Size:	743.2 KB 
ID:	12294  

Guild Apprentice

Wip

Still Experimenting, the YT-1300 (Millennium falcon) is from scifi3d.com and rendered in blender, which to be honest was a pain in the a***.

stuamn
    OOPS - WARNING LARGE IMAGE - didn't realise how big I'd made it

Name:	hangar.jpg 
Views:	2454 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	12320  
    Last edited by stuamn; 04-12-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: adding warning

Nice. Well done with the lifts (the shadow adds some depth underneath them). I look forward to seeing what the base looks like with all the bells and whistles. May I suggest a "living quarters" area - something with a few bunks, a table and chairs, and a footlocker. Maybe even a holoprojector. Keep up the good work.

Guild Apprentice

Post real life

real life getting in the way at the moment, however i had a few minutes yesterday to play. the shadows still need work and both images need clutter. I hope to have more time next weekend.

Name:	base.jpg 
Views:	7440 
Size:	742.8 KB 
ID:	12788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hangar2.jpg 
Views:	3266 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	12789  

Blog Entries

These are cool. I like the renders and that grill / perforated cover thing. That works real well. The images are big but not too big. I like them big so I can see the detail in them.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is good stuff. The only things I see as missing are shadows coming from things like the guns and satellite on the MF. If that's what you're referring to, then never mind me
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    This is good stuff. The only things I see as missing are shadows coming from things like the guns and satellite on the MF. If that's what you're referring to, then never mind me
    It wasn't , it was the shadows under the walkway. It's the reason i post these things as i often overlook the most obvious things. Sometimes you can look at something so often that you can't see the wood for the trees.

stuamn