Thread: Real World Mountain elevation data

Info Real World Mountain elevation data

Hey guys!

Long time lurker... recent poster... Love the site, I've just never been able to get a map going that I really wanted to pursue... There was always something with the way that mountains, and mountain rangers were rendered...

I was so tired of my mountains looking like mounds... Or piles of dirt, when real world mountains have water erosion like this:

Well... I decided I had to have real world mountains. So I went and found a tutorial ( here ) that showed me how to export height maps from google earth. (I found the usgs site very unfriendly...)

Once I got some nice dense mountains into photoshop, I spent most of the day creating a tileable (that is: seamless edges) realworld mountain texture.

Then, I defined it as a pattern in photoshop, and painted this pattern on a new layer with a blend mode of screen, overtop of my original export from Fractal Terrains.

My original image with the "mounds" of mountains was this:

And with about 2 minutes of painting, I was able to turn it into this:

I was so happy, I decided I'd share it with the class!
    So... you can download the full tileable mountain image
    RIGHT HERE!
    (graciously stored on forum.cartographersguild.com!!)

I hope you all find it useful. Feel free to use it at your leisure. The only thing I ask is that you give credit where credit is due

Thanks!!
    -Jay-Nic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tut00.jpg 
Views:	1780 
Size:	459.2 KB 
ID:	12073   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tut01.jpg 
Views:	8149 
Size:	337.4 KB 
ID:	12074   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tut02.jpg 
Views:	1771 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	12075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goodmountains.jpg 
Views:	2463 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	12076  

Welcome to the Guild and don't forget to post to the "Official" Introduction forum. You have some good stuff here and are definitely moving in the right direction.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I could see this being handy, especially for the pattern mappers. Probably need a few more just for variety's sake but good stuff nonetheless. If you make some hills I'll surely snag those.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

All this on a first post, and no rep?!?

Gonna fix that right now!!

Nicely done.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

It never occurred to me to make a seamless pattern out of a heightmap. Interesting.

You may want to take a look at Wilbur, which is capable of creating those erosion valleys. It's not perfect, and it demands a lot of CPU cycles, but it is definitely a worthwhile program.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name