Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fractal Terrains Pro: tectonic plate simulation?

Guild Apprentice

You can open .mdr files by going into File>New... and then select Binary File. Click on Choose Elevation File and select your .mdr file you want to bring in (by default it filters for .bin files, so tell it to look for All Files). Don't worry about filling in all those parameters as Fractal Terrains automatically grabs them from the .mdr file. Then just hit Ok, Next, and then Finish.

There is an issue with .mdr files being flipped vertically in FT, but Wilbur does the same thing to .ftw files. You can either flip them before hand in Wilbur or afterwards in FT (Map>World Settings>Fractal Function and then check Flip Vertical).

Thank you, for answering. But this method works for me only with .mdr files that are saved with FTPro. In all other cases I get only strange results, like those below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	13652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	13653  

Info

Quote Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but how? All I can open is .ftw files. Please explain, I would be very grateful
    Sorry, I've been away for a while and just saw this question. It's really not a very difficult process, but there are a few parameters that have to be met.

1. The bmp file that you import into Wilbur should be dimensionally correct for rendering in FTPro, i.e. 2 pixels wide for every 1 pixel of height. (I would personally recommend not going above 4096 by 2048 unless you have the RAM/Processing power to do so)

2. In Wilbur, before saving as an .mdr file, go to Surface>>Map Info. Where you see the "Edges" section, make sure those read as follows

Top : 90
    Right : 180
    Bottom : -90
    Left : -180

This will stretch your file to cover the "full world" in FTPro.

3. As mentioned before, there is a "flipping" issue between Wilbur and FTPro. This can be solved in either application. In Wilbur, before saving as an .mdr file go to Surface>>Rotate>>Flip Vertical and then save your file. Alternatively you can save map in an .mdr format immediately, and once imported in FTPro (File>>New>>Binary File>>Chose Elevation File>>All Files) go to World Settings>>Fractal Function and check the Flip Vertical check box.

One thing to keep in mind is that you'll need to keep the .mdr file available unless you use the Burn Into Surface action which, IMHO, tends to distort/terrace the end results.

Hope this helps and, again, sorry for the delay in answering. Once I've tweaked out the final process I'll be posting it here. Besides the Convert Color to Altitude process, this seems to be the best way I've found to bring hand-drawn maps into FTPro.

GW
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 06-23-2009 at 10:28 AM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

this is interesting... thank you for your comments

simulation credit

Jennifervn

Thanks for sharing your idea here. I appreciate your idea, very excellent.

simulationcredit

There is an issue with .mdr files being flipped vertically in FT, but Wilbur does the same thing to .ftw files.
    sonnerie portable gratuite

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12