Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this tut exist yet?

Guild Member

Question Does this tut exist yet?

I was playing around a couple nights ago and stumbled across a ridiculously easy way to make maps that, frankly, look better than anything I've come up with so far. It mainly involves rendering a layer of clouds, duplicating it about a million times, and then doing various things to groups of layers: level adjust, emboss, threshold/alpha mask, and coloring in.

Thing is, I'm pretty new here and this seems simple enough that someone must have already done a tut on it by now, or deemed it too silly to require a tut, and I don't want to get laughed off the board for publishing something.

Also, it's for Paint.NET, although it should translate to GIMP or any of the other programs with no trouble.

So... y'know... would that be worth putting together for y'all?

Peace,
    Heather

There is a serious lack of tutorials for Paint.NET here, so please do write it up.

There are a number of clouds-and-threshold tutorials already for the Gimp and Photoshop, but each takes a slightly different approach, and I've found value in all of them despite the significant overlap. Yet another perspective on the technique is welcome.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I would think think that any tutorial that is not available for a program (such as almost anything for PDN) would be welcome. As someone who tries out "other prog" tuts in Gimp just to see how they translates, I for one would welcome this. I would also like to see what PDN can do. Another thing is that if there is one person who discovers something in a program, it is a safe bet that there are others who have been trying to figure out how to do it.

All that ramblin' aside, Yes, I think it would be worth while doing this. And do not fear being laughed at. We are a friendly bunch here (for the most part )
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Post Yeah, let's see 'em.

I haven't been laughed off the boards yet, in spite of some Seriously Silly things, so, no need to worry about that. Regarding your technique, post some results, give us a taste of what's in store.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Guild Member

Wip

Okay, I'll post, but only if you tell me what the Seriously Silly things consist of, Feralspirit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tutorial attempt.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	12092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world map, all clouds.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	12093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world map, all clouds 2.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	12094  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's pretty decent. I don't know what all PDN can and can't do but I could see a few places where I could make a tweak here and there and get my usual style. Post it up, I know there are others here who use PDN so they'll shower you with hugs and praises Oh, and don't worry about looking stupid or silly; I do that at least once a day...just roll with it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Nice

Hey, those are nice. The first being my favorite (nice colors and land definition). Definitely post a tut to produce those.

As for confessing...um, er... I guess you could check out the software discussion forum for the Layer effects in GIMP thread, if it hasn't been deleted yet.

Cheers and Peace out, Heather!
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Guild Member

Look for something in a couple days. At the moment I have an insistent three-year-old at my elbow.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Oh, and don't worry about looking stupid or silly; I do that at least once a day...just roll with it.
    If I don't manage that at least 2 or 3 times a day, I view the whole day as a failure
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

Hey all,
    Thanks for the encouragement! The text of the tutorial is finished, but it's currently missing images, and the links to go and download the various plug-ins needed to actually follow along. Those will need to wait another couple of days, though - busy weekend ahead.

Should I throw the text up here anyway, or wait till I'm actually, y'know, done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast