Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid of Shadows [Another Take]

Quote Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post
    Awesome stuff man!

I'm running tabletop Thunderspire right now and i'm gonna finish it with printed maps, but you guys have inspired me to get a projector for Pyramid.

So, any advice on what KIND of projector i should get? Anyway i can swing a good one for $300?

Nebulous
    I would say to research (projectorcenteral.com) and find out about the projectors you are looking at BEFORE you buy. Specifically, if you plan to project down onto a table top, you need a certain distances from the project to the surface to get a specific size screen image. This is called throw distance. For example, product A may required 7 feet 1 inch to create a 36x24 image, while product b may only require 5 feet 5 inches to hit the same size scale. Unless you have super high ceilings or plan to project onto the floor, this is a very critical piece of information to know before you decide on a particular projector!!!!

Second, make sure you get as high a lumens(light brightness) projector as you can afford. Those with low lumens will be horrible unless you have the lights down real low, which is not always condusive to gaming where you need to be able to read printed material (assuming you or your group needs printed material!)

Unless you happen to get a good deal for a used one, you will not get a new projector for under 300 that will meet the above criteria. I think I ended up paying around 650 for mine which is not "great" in the lumens department (not bad either though) but has a fairly short throw range.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

These maps are fantastic! Were the maps created entirely in PS?
    Last edited by Zoso; 06-06-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Love the maps thanks

Guild Novice

Nice looking maps.

I have a projector I'm using as well and only use Photoshop to build and display the maps. I'm actually in the process of changing how i have it mounted due to some changes we made to our living room.

I want to second everything jfrazierjr posted above. Do your research first. I had been talking about wanting one for a long time but my wife always laughed at me. (in a friendly way) So I never did any research, then outta the blue a few years back she got me one for xmas. Which was great and really surprised me, but I'm not sure if I had done the research I would have gotten the same one.

For more info from other gamers that are using projectors check out this thread over at enworld. Its been going for around 4 years at this point and still has recent activity.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general...t-up-evar.html

Good luck

JD

Would you mind sharing what you did for the effect over the floor in the Maze of Lost Souls area (Level 3 bottom-right corner maze)? I would love to use something like that for a flooded room.

Thanks!

Wow, just wanted to say this is a fantastic map and ask a question of everyone:

What is the best way to print out these large images over multiple pages? I'm having trouble doing it through web browser, paint, photoshop, pretty much anything I've pasted it into. Any help is appreciated.

Kinkos prints some over sized maps.

Ashrem -- do you still have the originals available somewhere? Mediafire seems to have timed out the download.

Check out these links. Apparently, you can do some amazing things with a projector, a wiimote, and some infrared pens:

http://tyrendes.spaces.live.com/blog...731F!347.entry

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/04/diy-gamer-build/

http://kingworkscreative.blogspot.co...ame-table.html

.TM7
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

This looked like a great map to use for my game and I realize this thread is 4 years old but ....isn't the first level of this map missing the rooms in the middle where the characters first appear after entering the pyramid? :0

Since the Artist hasn't been active for 4 years I guess I won't hold my breath on an answer from him.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast