Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natooga - Isle of peril

Wip Natooga - Isle of peril

I was on winter vacation for a week skiing every day and now I’m back within four walls and started working on a new map.
    As usual I have started by creating the first versions of textures I will use and forming the island shapes. Each texture is constructed from various overlaying textures with some handmade elements. I’m sure the textures will change on the way before this map is finished and therefore I have kept all the work versions that have the adjustment layers and layer effects etc.

The scale of this map is small 1px=10meters making the map 20km x 15km only and it will be a small, barren mountainous island nearby a large continent (which will not be included here). The island has relatively hostile environment with sharp rocks and cliff formations partially covered with bushes. There is only limited amount of fertile soil reducing the areas for forests, but as the air is very humid the forest will be dense where possible.
    This first version doesn't have too much in it yet as the textures have taken most of the time so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP-1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	12109  

As a small update here is a version where the rocky hills are starting to form. I'm basically using the same tecnique as with the Curunir map and the tutorial I made earlier. I have just played with the setting and textures.

Name:	WIP-2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	12112  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very 'crunchy' hills
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm working on trying to merge different rock formation to each other. So I'm figuring out simple way to get a feeling of a naturally continuing formations instead of just blending textures together. It looks good already and should look even better when I get the bushes and trees in there.

Name:	WIP-2a.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	12119  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks kind of overly crunchy right now but I'm sure that'll change as you go along. Looks good so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I have toned down the crunchiness a bit but not all as the purpose was to be really aversive and hostile environment. I have a vision in my head where it becomes smoother and more natural when I get some softening details there. Attached is a small example where I have went a bit further but there are still some work to be done.

Do you think it's going to right direction?

Name:	WIP-3.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	928.4 KB 
ID:	12179  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks like an arid deserty sort of place...nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The sand/beach area is most excellent.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Progressing onwards:
    Smoothened the beach coast line as it was too jagged.
    Added the rivers and forests into the central valley. The central valley is one of the few places where there is enough soil to support forest.

I have been thinking about possible inhabitants or smuglers hideouts and alike, but I haven't made up my mid yet...

Name:	WIP-4.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	12211  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast