Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Figuring out Wilbur...

Most likely there are some wild points along that edge of the map. Try Window>>Histogram to see if there are points that are well beyond your map's expected range.

Blog Entries

Post A Masking Question

Waldronate i hope you can answer this,

The Wilbur Tutorial answers black and white masking such as the beginnings of RobA's Gimp Tutorial, what i want to do either directly in Wilbur or through Gimp is to mask on a gradient.

I've had no real problems creating a fractal coastline mask, the problem comes in when i try to smooth it down to sea level, smudge can produce pretty good results but then i lose most of the coastline and get a rather abrupt and small region of descending land. Using more and longer strokes with the smudge tool eventually ruins the nice detail i've gotten.

Ideally i'd like to create a land mask as in the mapping tutorial but shaded from sea level to some distance inland where it then allows all the wilbur generated terrain to show through, if masking can work that way.

Could i have some pointers on the easiest way to make such a mask, if possible?
    Last edited by Revock; 07-18-2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: I realized the answer to one or two of my earlier problems

I'm not a Gimp user so I'm afraid I won't be much help there (although the ShapeBurst gradient might be what you want).

In Wilbur you should be able draw the selection you want and then use Filter>>Fill>>Mound to generate a distance mask (which is the equivalent of the ShapeBurst operation) into the heightfield or Select>>Modify>>Distance, which will do the distance transform thing to the selection.

See also http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/Fu...ol4/index.html for more tips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12