Thread: New kid on the block

Post New kid on the block

Hello, talented people

I found your site after a recommendation on another board and what a find! Being a clueless cartogrpaher, I have little to offer other than my admiration at your work. I will, no doubt, be shamelessly stealing other people's work. I feel bad, but not so bad that I'll stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashfull View Post
    Hello, talented people

I found your site after a recommendation on another board and what a find! Being a clueless cartogrpaher, I have little to offer other than my admiration at your work. I will, no doubt, be shamelessly stealing other people's work. I feel bad, but not so bad that I'll stop.
    When that happens to me, in a strange way, it feels *really good* too
    "The medium is the message." -- Marshall McLuhan

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

We don't mind a bit of "borrowing" around here for the most part. I would suggest looking through the Tutorials and give some of them a try. You will be happily surprised how fast you can turn out "borrowable" stuff yourself.

When "borrowing" stuff, you need to make sure that the Guilder who made it won't mind. We do have some around who make a living doing this and some of the stuff they put up are copyrighted. Put here for display, not download. In these cases they usually say what you cannot do in the first post of the thread.

Beyond that , have some fun and try some tuts.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thank you for your kind welcome.

Some of the maps I have seen here are quite stunning. The techniques for antiquaiting things are amazing. Have people had similar success in creating futuristic looking maps? I imagine metallic looking borders and "hyperlinks" and neon colours.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bashfull View Post
    Have people had similar success in creating futuristic looking maps? I imagine metallic looking borders and "hyperlinks" and neon colours.
    Welcome Aboard!

You may want to look at the Map Challenge Archive - there was a space/planetary challenge a few months ago.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Here is the link to the SPACE map challenge from November last year!:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/Ch...gers_Nov08.htm
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

That's awesome work, Neon. I don't even want to know who won. Most of those are, surely, worthy of publication in a novel or gaming product.

What about near future? Would a cyberpunk type map be a good idea for a competition? I'm an occasional Shadowrun player, so I am curious.

What about Oriental maps? Is there anything specifically Eastern in appearance? (Occasional Legend of the Five Rings gaming too, you see).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

While there tends to be a majority of fantasy maps, a near-future/cyber-punk style challenge might be cool.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.