Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I.C.E. Crypt O'Death

No problem, Ravells. I see I made a mistake as well to suggest you should replace "none" with "noone." It's correct the way you are using it at the moment. Well, I never said English is my native language
    (and just now I see StillCypher corrected me, very good )

Anyway, I like the splash of color. It does add something.
    Does the writing near the pentagram actually mean anything?
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 04-11-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Pretty nice Ravs. I like the Hellfire Club reference. My personal opinion would be to leave color out...keep it like an old newspaper, but color could could from some handwritten notes or blood drops or something corny like that (which really isn't all that appropriate or necessary sometimes).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The stairs do look big, don't they? I've made them a little smaller. Thanks for the pointer!
    Edit: no worries, Gandwarf! ... Ascension I think I agree with you, the red is a bit OTT, I've taken it out and think it looks much better...I'm trying to keep this out of photoshop but I wonder whether if I ran a halftone filter over it whether it might give it that 'old newspaper' look?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	renderb 090411.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	12297  

Hmmm, I don't like the cloaks you put in and the shadow of the casket in the pentagram is way too hard. My advice would be: don't fiddle too much with it. Too many details can ruin the experience.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looking good. I think the issue with the cloaks is that they are the only untextured element of the map, so they stand out.

I like it a lot - and it's great to see something set in Highgate! That's a phenomenal location.

As for the scale - are you aware that they don't need to fit on one sheet of A4? You can have them spread over multiple sheets?

You're right...the cloaks look too cartoony, I'll soften that shadow too and call it done. I only put the cloaks in because I was afraid that the cloak hooks wouldn't read as such without a cloak or two on them, but if you knew they were hooks then no need for the cloaks.

Highgate old cemetery is beautiful, I used to live near there. I know the rules said that you could spread it over various pages, but at this scale it's just too much work making bits and pieces ... I don't have the patience.

How about this version (darkened the walls too)....it's a lot of fiddling now...

Name:	renderc 090411.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	12300  

OK, getting sick of it now....here's the final version which I've submitted.

Ha Ha! It looks like ICE doesn't make any Cthulhu type games....

Name:	renderc 090412.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	12307  

Nice job.
    I like the fact that you decided to keep it greyscale.
    -D

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Thanks guys, have to say, I don't like mapping at this scale at all. It's really dependent on getting nice objects to scatter about and as you can't borrow other people's for this comp, I find making them a pain - even really simple ones.

Ganwarf thanks for the edits and suggestion re the colour. I've put in a splash of colour to draw attention to the pentangle - too much?
    That's a really nice map and I like the use of the colour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12