Thread: GnarlyGnash

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Map GnarlyGnash

I wanted to do up a nice place for dwarves to live -- a land of their own instead of always being next door to elves (too overdone). I wanted lots of mountains because, well, I didn't want to get too far away from the norm (otherwise people would be saying "don't dwarves live in mountains?" and personally I think that bit is way overdone, just like with elves always in forests). So my dwarfland was going to have rivers and plains, deserts and ice -- just for some variety. Since I'm a rather playful fella my names for things don't really sound all that much like traditional dwarf names like Rocksplitter and Axebeard but instead have a bit of humor...again an effort to try to break the conventions. Truth be told, I sort of got carried away there a bit I had a lot of fun making this and I hope you, at least, get a smile out of it as well. As for me, I'll either be in The Tower of the Infinite studying the heavens or mucking it up in Cuttlestink.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GnarlyGnash-TheAscension.jpg 
Views:	1448 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	12142  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I’ve been stuck in Chickenscratch for weeks now! What’s going on with shipping these days?

Super map, and a good take on a dwarven realm. I spent quite some time studying the detail and familiarising myself with the terrain, for when that blasted ferry shows up and I reach the mainland! I’m assuming the unnamed dots are hamlets or such, but I can’t figure out what the crosses are, for example Gluttony or Envy. Are they ruins?

Great work.

DMG

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Originally, the small plus signs are meant to be smaller ports...sort of like fishing villages. However, they can be whatever you want as it really makes no difference to me. The small dots are indeed tiny settlements, just not named cuz they were cluttering up my terrain. So if anyone uses this privately, they can make up their own cool names.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I love this! This would work perfectly with the idea of Dwarven viking-like raiders/pirates.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx