Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freebooter/Freighter Deck Plan WIP

Wip Freebooter/Freighter Deck Plan WIP

I've been doing several sci-fi commissions lately (samples can be found in my map portfolio) so I thought I would do a ship layout just for the hell of it. Here is the freebooter/freighter that I am calling The Aeschylus. It isn't tied to any one RPG system specifically but I have taken some ideas from Traveller. I'm still working out the details - both technically and background wise. This is the middle level. There will be several more levels above and below this deck plan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aeschylus001.jpg 
Views:	2479 
Size:	362.3 KB 
ID:	12143

1. Engineering
    2. Cargo Hull (the striped section is a cargo lift that lowers/raises to the lower and upper levels)
    3. Lifts/Elevators
    4. Escape Pods
    5. Living Quarters
    6. Energy Weapons
    7. Sick bay
    8. Conference Room
    9. Fuel Tanks

Scale is 1 square = 5' x 5' x10'
    Last edited by Turgenev; 04-08-2009 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Forgot the Fuel Tank listing for the legend
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great work (us usual) Turgenev - love how you are able to get so much detail without 'cluttering' the image with textures, etc.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I always thought in the weightlessness of space, real freighters would be like container ships of the ocean. Bolt on discrete cargo modules into a vaguely contained shape and then go - perhaps under some sort of streamlining\protective field.

The containers would be checked for hazards but not too carefully monitored. This would allow faster trade with fewer liabilities for the freighter. The cargo would be treated well but jettisoned if it would save the freighter. Life support and expensive enviro services would be minimal or nonexistent for the cheaper cargo.

Real freighters wouldn't enter atmosphere but do their business at space stations. I imagine the three ship regions Crew (At the Front) Cargo (Middle) and Main Engine (Back) would be separable in an emergency. The compliment would ideally be small enough to fit in the Crew area but ... things happen. If the command corridor was ridged enough it could be secured by balanced tension along the outer hull across the cargo pods.

Troop and People transports would be very similar but have a more elaborate center section for people complete with its own life support and active radiation shield(s).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ship-design.png 
Views:	672 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	12185  
    Last edited by Sigurd; 04-08-2009 at 06:12 PM.

You have a point Sigurd, but what you described sounds more like the operations of a large corporation or a planetary government based company - basically a company with large resources. The ship I'm working on would more likely be owned by an independent trader, or a family run business (much like some trucking companies here on earth), or even freebooters/pirates/smugglers (think along the lines of the Millennium Falcon).
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Here's the lower deck of the Aeschylus:

Name:	aeschylus-lowerdeck.jpg 
Views:	990 
Size:	399.7 KB 
ID:	12189

And here's the revised middle deck:

Name:	aeschylus-middledeck.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	424.2 KB 
ID:	12188

Next is the Upper Deck.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Great work (us usual) Turgenev - love how you are able to get so much detail without 'cluttering' the image with textures, etc.
    Thanks SG. You know me - I always prefer a minimalist approach. It is easier that way for others to insert specific details onto the maps for their own games.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

This does look great. It looks like you put your Mongoose experience to good use. I have to say that I can't look another space ship in the face right now

I'm not trying to change anything you're doing. You just gave me an idea is all.

I like the Aeschylus, it looks like a fine ship to adventure in.

What about a birth\link for a detachable fighter\landing craft?

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    This does look great. It looks like you put your Mongoose experience to good use. I have to say that I can't look another space ship in the face right now
    LOL! I had the worst time doing the Whitestar design. By the end, I HATED that ship! I don't consider it my best work. I'm designing the Aeschylus with no game system in mind so I'm not restricted by some of Traveller's design concepts. When I'm designing for myself - things flow a lot easier and are a lot more relax and fun.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I'm not trying to change anything you're doing. You just gave me an idea is all.

I like the Aeschylus, it looks like a fine ship to adventure in.

What about a birth\link for a detachable fighter\landing craft?
    Don't get me wrong. I liked your idea Sigurd and I might even give it a try some time in the future. I just wanted to clarify my own idea (for anyone else reading and for myself actually).

I'm picturing the upper deck to have the command deck and perhaps a small shuttle bay. I'll see how the plans draw themselves.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast