Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Damothi

The buildings and streets in the city do not look fully natural yet. There's too much open space, buildings aren't aligned with the main roads, etc. But probably you already know this.
    Yeah, unfortunately. Again, still just trying to find a method that really works. I think I'm getting closer, but there's still things wrong obviously, mostly like you said: Buildings and roads seem to be the main problem. They were a problem in the first incarnation as well. Oh well. Gotta keep trying, I guess.

Question CD3 and Photoshop post production work...?

Have you thought about using profantasy's CD3 to design the roads and layout of your city only and then import that into Photoshop and do the rest of the terrain/stuff as post production type work?

I am curious if (and I am sure someone has) done this and to what success you or anyone else has had with it?

Also... another tool which I have only played with for a short time is the City Map Generator which was out on the internet as freeware. Its very good IF you are just looking for a 'sketch' and something to go by.

I am not aware of this city generator, though if anyone knows where I can find it, I would greatly appreciate a link. The CD3 idea is not bad, but I have to say that I am CC3 retarded at this moment. I know my way around PS, but I'll be damned if I can figure out CC3.

But I guess that'll be good for future reference. I guess I'll have another map up as soon as I can just figure out how to work the stupid program.

I like this second try more. The first had too soft/blurred hills, but this second one doesn't have that problem. I second to Gandwar about the buildings and roads and maybe you should consider a different texture to the city walls. And even with these small issues it's defenately worth reputation...Keep on doing this, I want to see more...

Quote Originally Posted by overlordchuck View Post
    The CD3 idea is not bad, but I have to say that I am CC3 retarded at this moment. I know my way around PS, but I'll be damned if I can figure out CC3.
    Did you watch the CC3 tutorials on YouTube? They should give you a nice start.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Link RPG Random City Generator 5.1 + Update File.

Quote Originally Posted by overlordchuck View Post
    I am not aware of this city generator, though if anyone knows where I can find it, I would greatly appreciate a link.
    Here is the link to the RPG Random City Generator 5.1

Also... here is the download for it RPG City Generator 5.1 Update!

I have only played around with it once but I think I will be using it as a 'guide' to get some inspiration when it comes to the layout of a city, town, village...

Enjoy.

Here is the link to the RPG Random City Generator 5.1
    This is a program of unspeakable power, sir, and I thank you for it.

So, after giving the map generator a spin, I discovered something. I am wholly unable to export the map. Does anybody know why this is or how I can fix this?

EDIT: Nevermind, problem solved. After searching the forums, I found a download of v5.40, which has the export feature, here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...2&postcount=16
    Last edited by overlordchuck; 04-13-2009 at 12:02 AM.

:O

in awe.

Bit of a thread jack here, and my apologies.

The one thing I have been witnessing in city maps of late is a little bit of a per peeve of mine.

In no way is any city or town, or even village a collection of individual buildings, each separate from the other. In the real world, and I am sure in the fantasy world as well, space is of a premium, and as a result buildings were and are clustered together, and built adjacent to each other, sharing external walls.

Here is a view of London showing row houses:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...09656&t=k&z=17

A section of Paris:

Part of Athens near the Sea:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...04828&t=k&z=18

Rome, (Just north of the Collesium)

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,0.009656&z=17

Del-ar-Beida Morroco

The point is, the buildings share adjoining walls, making them clusters of 'superbuildings" in a sense.

So, for me, while the City Generator does a good job, This is where I think the generator falls flat, as does making brushes in photoshop. The city ends up being a collection of individual buildings, and not the cloistered, claustrophobic place they actually are. The only place our modern cities have clusters of individual buildings separated from each other is the 'Suburb', the collection of residential houses we are familiar with.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast