Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Damothi

Unfortunately, you are correct. The only problem is that to make it that realistic is an intensely more difficult process than using a pattern or a brush or a generator. I'm still trying to figure this whole town-mapping thing, so I haven't yet progressed really to the realistic house blocks. Instead, I'm just trying to get a feel for the process.

On a side note, I have tried a third map using Pyrandon's OTHER tutorial. Unfortunately, for good Sir Daniel, it was used with the generator and therefore has widely dispersed houses. I find I like this style a bit better, and I intend to keep working at this, refining the process and whatnot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	12338  

The trees in forest texture are too big compared to the houses and it doesn't look natural. Try reducing the forest and maybe the fields texture too.

Blog Entries

I know this is about the city and not the terrain but that loop of river looks highly unlikely.

Well, this layout looks a lot better, even though the houses are so tiny it's hard to see any details. It seems the city generator can be put to great use in creating farming communities.

Once you add walls to a city like this the layout doesn't work anymore. Buildings will then start sharing walls for sure, like Neonknight said.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    I know this is about the city and not the terrain but that loop of river looks highly unlikely.
    Got to disagree. Real life rivers do that stuff all the time; even, perhaps particularly, at this scale. In fact, what seems more unlikely, to my eyes, is the long straight stretch in the northwest corner (particularly as that stretch looks like it punches right into some highlands, when there's a perfectly nice low-lying area right to the right where all the farms are).
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Got to disagree. Real life rivers do that stuff all the time; even, perhaps particularly, at this scale.
    Well I admit I'm no expert in rivers so yeah, I'm probably wrong but can a river double back on itself like that? The bit where the river splits is at an angle of like, 130 degrees to the current direction, and while I guess the lay of the land could maybe allow this (if there's a sharp drop in that direction maybe), I would imagine that part of the mouth leading up to it would be eroded. At any rate, such an offshoot would surely be much thinner than the river which spawned it?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Holy large # of bridges Batman!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Haha, now that you mention it. Yeah, it's a bit unrealistic. But Chuck is just experimenting.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Well I admit I'm no expert in rivers so yeah, I'm probably wrong but can a river double back on itself like that? The bit where the river splits is at an angle of like, 130 degrees to the current direction, and while I guess the lay of the land could maybe allow this (if there's a sharp drop in that direction maybe), I would imagine that part of the mouth leading up to it would be eroded. At any rate, such an offshoot would surely be much thinner than the river which spawned it?

Oh, so you're talking about the section with the small island, and not the about face turn further downstream?

I'll concede that that part of the river could use a little work. Although islands do form in rivers, I'm not so sure that a branch that flows around such an island will commonly double back on itself before rejoining the main river.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

The trees in forest texture are too big compared to the houses and it doesn't look natural. Try reducing the forest and maybe the fields texture too.
    I see what you mean. Kind of missed that.

Obviously they are a race of skilled bridge builders If dwarves can always live in massive mine fortresses, there should be a race obsessed with building bridges, and lots of 'em.

I'll be the first to admit that the map's way off, but I'm mostly just trying to find a style that really works well.

Thanks for all the criticism and help and such, guys.

EDIT:

I'll concede that that part of the river could use a little work. Although islands do form in rivers, I'm not so sure that a branch that flows around such an island will commonly double back on itself before rejoining the main river.
    Another explanation: The bridgebuilding race is also full of aquamancers Bridges and rivers walk hand-in-hand, after all.
    Last edited by overlordchuck; 04-13-2009 at 12:13 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast