Thread: Campaign Map (Iloth)

Map Campaign Map (Iloth)

This map is covers a much larger area than my original map (North Ilos), as I've switched gears in the campaign overall and am finally starting 4th edition. Of course, not all the names here are original as I've nabbed some works from older source books to introduce in my newer campaign.

I spent one day with Campaign Cartographer 3 creating the map itself, and another day in PhotoImpact making the roads and naming everything there. I didn't bother with a map legend as most things are pretty obvious; if not visually then at least by name.

Lastly, this is actually a lower quality version of my original, despite it being a fairly large map. I believe everything is viewable, however. I'm more than interested on feedback of any type. Thanks,

George
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iloth.jpg 
Views:	1672 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	12213  

Very cool map! It has clear, readable fonts and although the map has lots of interesting locations, using lots of different symbols, it doesn't feel cluttered. The sword and staff in the map title are a nice touch. Have some rep.

So why did you do the roads in another program?

Only suggestion I can think of at the moment: you could maybe blur some of the different terrain types a bit. Making the transition a bit smoother.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 04-09-2009 at 03:36 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Ooo I like the map very much. Its simple but yet complex and has a nice array of environments! I really like how you did the spellplague wastes, the blackwing marsh, all of the northern tundra, mudwrym hills, and the coldarra type of desert as well! Great map!

Also, where did you get the terrain texture for the icerim and the iceclaw wastes?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FarsightX3 View Post
    Also, where did you get the terrain texture for the icerim and the iceclaw wastes?
    I think that's a CC3 symbol (IIRC).

Very nice map George.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I think that's a CC3 symbol (IIRC).

Very nice map George.
    I think soo as well but I don't have it and I have cc3 and symbol set 1 as well.

This is a fun map - I like the details found throughout (especially the camel for some reason - love it!). The faint burst behind the map's name was also a nice touch.

Absolutely fantastic for a private campaign map.

I am unfamiliar with both of the programs used to create this map so I don't know if it's a possibility or not, but the only suggestion I had was already mentioned by Gandwarf - some of the terrains are sharply contrasted in their transition, most notably between the grass & mountains and the grass & ice fields. I think you'd be surprised what a softer transition will do for the overall feel of your work.

At any rate, repped.

Regards,

- Auth

Blog Entries

Nice map. It doesn't look cluttered at all but there is an amazing amount of stuff in there. I spent quite a while scrolling it round and coming across new things in it.

If I had a criticism though it would be that the river police might want to take you in for questioning.