Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Shires of Somery

Guild Applicant

Map The Shires of Somery

Hi all!

I stumbled over the forum a few days ago, and it is really an inspiring experience to browse through the posts and study all the efforts of the members of the community. It is apparent (from the posts I have seen so far) that the general interest is in fantasy maps, so I thought I would add a bit of ordinary "Ordnance Survey" style mapping. The Shires of Somery is a country that has been with me for more than a decade, but in 2001 I found an online roleplaying game called Vexillium that raised it from occasional pondering to a more thought through concept. The language spoken in the country is a sort of archaic English, or more specifically, the way English may have been spoken if William the Conqueror had not got out of bed that fateful day in the year 1066, and had not had his French-speaking nobility take over Anglo-Saxon England. That also means that some place names have an apparent Celtic origin, although most of them are Anglo-Saxon, or Somerish as the people of the Shires would call it.
    Well, enough rambling for now. Here is a general map of the country. Comments are welcome.

Somery

Blog Entries

You map is very nice. We don't have enough Atlas style maps on here. If you haven't already seen them the ones by 'Handsome Rob' are worth a look too. The place names are very good. All the Wold's and the Mere's are fun and I live next to several examples of each i.r.l.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I like it a lot, and it's especially lovely to see the care and attention to the linguistic background.

Welcome to the guild.

Very nice, and more conlanging is always appreciated.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice job, very easy on the eyes.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Great stuff man. I hope you do more.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Hey Bo,

This is Scott from Vex! I really love this map. Somery is one of the best developed and deep nations in the game and accompanied with a great website!

Looking forward to the super huge vector based PDF version

Take care!

Guild Applicant

Hey all. It's been a while and the map has developed quite a bit. Here is a (very) big pdf (13.5 MB) of it http://bernvill.se/somery/maps/somery.pdf

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Good lord! That's amazing...

Holy Cow, just look at all the detail! That is just an insane number of names to have to come up with. Looks great though, very well laid out. Great job. Here's some rep.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast