Thread: Geography Check - My First Map!

Post Geography Check - My First Map!

Hey guys, just starting out with my first map. I'm going to be using CC3 and PS. I've been reading the forums and I've learned that getting the rivers/lakes right is one of the keys to a convincing map. Even though my map is going to of a fantasy style, I'd like it to make sense. I've tried to follow the rules I've read here, but could someone check my map over and let me know if I'm heading in the right direction? Cheers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map01.gif 
Views:	99 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	12228

The curved lines will be mountain ranges, and the rivers.. Well, those are the black wavey lines. ^^

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good so far..."You shall pass!" (said in my best Gandalf voice). That one lake with the river flowing into it needs an outflow to the sea though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Would a sump work? If the inflow was greater than the outflow it would form a lake right? Would also give me a nice cave system for use at some point. I've no idea if lakes of that size could drain into a sump without creating an over flowing river mind. I could just add the river like I should in the start too though! Thanks for checking the map over Ascension.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Ascension already spotted the one potential 'river infraction'. But if you have a 'reason' (such as sadistic SMURFs draining the lake for their own evil purposes) for the lake to have no 'out flow' then I wouldn't worry about it all that much.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Cheers guys! I'll keep you updated with how the progress goes with humble hopes of your constructive critique!