Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: April 2009 Entry: [Region 1][Map 11][Town ?] City of Edram

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip April 2009 Entry: [Region 1][Map 11][Town ?] City of Edram

Placeholder for my entry. It figures that I pick a city not on the map of Akron so I have free reign as long as it's a port city. Muahahaha. Eeeeexcellent. If anyone actually has the location of this city on a map or any other info, I'd certainly appreciate it If no one knows where this place is I guess I could always switch up and do Karthis.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The City of Edram was on the Kouver Islands map as it fit in to the next square. I made reference to it in my map and carried on the client settlements.
    Last edited by Valarian; 04-10-2009 at 03:36 AM.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Thanks, man. I'll get cracking tonight.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

At this point I'd call Kouver Islands abandoned anyway since there hasn't been any activity on it in almost a year; you could probably get away with taking on the whole area if you wanted to.

Of course, the powers that be might have a differing viewpoint...

-IG

*EDIT* I see from another thread that doing an area map is not allowed for this challenge, so scratch the above statement.
    Last edited by industrygothica; 04-10-2009 at 10:00 AM.

Spent a few hours painting this up in Photoshop; similar to my more recent stuff and less like my old stuff. Since this is meant to be a city-state at the tip of a peninsula I asked myself "What makes them a seat of power?" I figured that they'd have quite a large navy, and a fleet of merchant ships to boot, and this provides them with the money, power, and influence. The lands to the north seem kind of sparse (or possibly farmlands, I don't really know much about the area) so the overland trade would funnel into just a couple of roads...a coastal road and a road into the interior. Since cities are rarely formed just on a beach I added a river and a shielded harbor to protect the ships. I could go and make this a full on Venice-type city but haven't made up my mind on that just yet since I don't want it to be that obvious. The citadel sits upon a hill overlooking everything to the horizon and makes it quite a formidable place. These roads are nowhere near done nor finalized; they're just there to get me started thinking about the layout and planning.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edram.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	12270  
    Last edited by Ascension; 04-11-2009 at 12:39 AM.

Put the main avenues in and some walls and turrets, started mocking up the building styles as well.

Views:	103 
Size:	4.40 MB 
ID:	12308  

I would leave it like this and just call it done
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Put in the docks, wharves, a circus maximus, coliseum, amphitheater, university, cathedral, monastery, trees, bushes, triremes, galleys, catapults, ballistas, inns, barracks, and I'm not sure what else. Spent most of the day drawing these things and lots of rotating of the copies...tedious, especially the docks and wharves. Still working on the unique buildings then I'll do up the industry buildings.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	149 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	12334  

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    At this point I'd call Kouver Islands abandoned anyway since there hasn't been any activity on it in almost a year; [...])
    You might just be right about that. Sorry I've been such a dissappointment, both in terms of personal involvement and mapping ability.

And yet, I like to see that something from there gets chosen, and it's looking so good this far.
    So maybe I'll find the motivation to go ahead with the overall, not close up, map, so it can actually be worked into the cwbp proper.
    Two in harmony surpass one in perfection

Wow Ascension, you have gotten yourself into a pretty large project
    The buildings are looking good so far.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast