Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April Entry: [Region 1][Map 29][Kaiar]

Wip April Entry: [Region 1][Map 29][Kaiar]

Finally got some free time so I figured I would enter this month's mapping contest.

My map of choice being the city of Kaiar, a once prosperous settlement within what is now know as the plaguelands. Though much of the city now lies in ruins, there are still those who know it as home. To the south of the river the city has been overrun by all manner of beasts and left in ruin; to the north the governor hides within his keep with those closest to him as well as a small contingent of soldiers holding back the monstrosities and plague victims that seek to gain entrance. A great bridge once connected the two halves of the city, but it was destroyed by the governer in the city's final hours as a final attempt to stop the plague's spread to the north.

So far I just have some simple land/water for a placeholder, with more to come in the next few days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kaiar01.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	708.4 KB 
ID:	12267  

This sounds interesting. Can't wait to see the end result
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Just a short update, added some ruined walls, structures, changed the terrain a bit. Lots of work to go, but its slowly taking shape.

Name:	Kaiar02.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	12467  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lookin good so far...love the crenelations.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along nicely and good to see new folks joining the challenges.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yet another update, added some things, ruined alot of things, still more to go. Planning to work on the keep next as well as lighting/color.

Name:	Kaiar03.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	12561  

My last update for today (and maybe overall). I feel like the dock needs something more and I would love to add a wrecked ship (if only that were simple ), but overall i'm satisfied with how it is (okay.. i might play with the lights/color some more..)

Name:	Kaiar05.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	12571  

Hey, your entry is awesome! I really love it, but don't stop playing with the lighting. That last post is way too dark. I hope I'm not alone in that opinion. Don't get me wrong, the dark feel is good for the ruins, but don't go soo dark that it obscures the other work that you've done. A really good job!
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I love a dark map cuz it really sets a mood and this one is good for that. I'd make it just a tad lighter, like maybe 10% or less and fill the empty space with with some stuff to help reinforce the mood...like skeletons or lizards or vines or something. Lovin it nonetheless.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast