Thread: First Post, First Map :P

Post First Post, First Map :P

Hello all, I'm pretty new to the whole mapping thing. Here's my first colored map of Asthenum, a sci-fi/fantasy idea of mine for an RPG. This was done in Artrage with a mouse. I'm pretty much attempting to get into digital art as a whole and am working on other projects such as characters and landscapes. The main things I feel could have been improved: More water variation (coast), the mountains, and an easier transition from one region to the next, mainly the square of green on the right side.

For a size reference, the northern volcanic island would be about the size of Ireland. The north is ashlands and swamps. The center is mostly rainforest. The turqoise peninsula is a rainforest warped by alien colonists. The west is the Asthenum Divide and savanna. The south is grasslands, badlands, and desert. The body of water at the bottom right corner is a lake and border to Sinnoprowl, another fictional country.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Asthenum Version 2.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	12196  
    Last edited by Samurai_Sushi; 04-08-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

First off, pretty decent for a first go so kudos there. The colors are good and the layout is interesting. The rivers, however, are some of the craziest I've ever seen, skirting the coasts instead of just dumping out into the ocean, forking downstream, criss-crossing, etc. I think browsing through the Tutorials section here might help ya fix those up real nicely. The mountains need a bit of work but not too much and the Tut section again will help ya out there. Your mountain style seems to be most similar to Pasis so check out his tut...his tut is not for Artrage but since it's a raster program many of the techniques should transfer over. All in all I think you can definitely go somewhere with this so don't think I'm trying to discourage you in any way...quite the contrary. Take a gander at some of the mountain tuts and I'd be more than happy to help you out further with rivers of you get stuck...just ask and I'll copy your map and draw some in for ya and you can finalize them.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

...and since you included a map in your very first post, have some rep *bonk*

Those are some pretty strange rivers, so I'll just echo Ascensions comments regarding them.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the comments and critisism. The rivers were kinda rushed to be honest and I had no clue how to do them. I'm planning on getting photoshop/GIMP this weekend and taking a good long look through the various tutorials.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well if ya need anything, just shout. I'll give ya a hand.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome aboard! The mops are in the corner...

Seriously though, great first map - good color, interesting design. The layout seems good to me too - deserts, mountains, jungles all seem appropriate. I'm not much of a river policeman so I can't comment on their plausibility.

You said you made this in Artrage. I'm not familiar with the program, but I did notice around the mountains (and lakes and desert) there is a pretty strong noise filter of some kind. You might want to consider easing that with an overlay of some kind or a light gauze blur

I think the larger bodies of water could use some colors to note the depth, but that might just be my own proclivity.

Great first post overall!