Thread: Antiquities Incorporated: Indiana Jones-style Pulp Adveture

Map Antiquities Incorporated: Indiana Jones-style Pulp Adveture

A group of friends I roleplay with online has recently got together to play a sort of Indiana Jones, Tomb Raider, The Mummy, and other Pulp Adventure fiction inspired RPG. We're using a modified version of a fan-made Fallout PnP handbook .pdf that I found online a while ago. I had been pretty interested in the topic of mapmaking, so the GM approached me about putting something together for the game.

I first made a map template using a 1930s world map from wikipedia so that I'd have the appropriate political divisions. I used an edge detect to get an outline, then copied the country outlines onto a parchment looking paper I made in GIMP. Next I threw on a sort of canvas looking effect, then used one of the pre-packaged 'coffee stain' effects that came with Gimp. I showed the thing to the GM and he loved it.

For every 'chapter' (session) of the game, I've been adding a little travel destination path inspiried from the Indiana Jones red-dotted line scene transitions. I was able to fine a guide online to early internation airline routes, and have been using that as a basis for the stops. I decided not to name every stop to cut down on the clutter, and instead have only been doing the beginning and end locations.

Anyway, here's the latest map we've used. This is the first practical map that I've made that has seen some use, and I feel I've done a pretty good job. Does anyone have any opinions or comments? I'd love to hear them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ai_LondontoMexico_map.png 
Views:	3868 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	12269  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I love the idea for the campaign...way cool. The only thing I'd change is the burlap sack texture looking thing for something more "parchmenty" but that is purely my own personal preference. I'd certainly like to see more
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I love the map... nice work

I love it to. The thing I would LOVE to see, is the edges to be frayed, with loose threads and stuff, like real burlap.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks for the responses guys.

Ascension, that was the closest to parchment I was able to get. I'm using GIMP, and the 'Clothify' filter didn't look as good as the 'Apply Canvas' one did.

NeonKnight, I think something like that may be a little beyond my ability. Also, there are some spots on the torn edges that I'm not too happy with, namely the upper left corner, the area above Russia, and most of the right side. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to save my parchment base in a non-flattened file, so I was unable to go back and touch it up. I decided to plow forward with the GM said he didn't think anything looked bad.

Very cool! That deserves some rep.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Post Hmmm?

Nice map! Couple suggestions though. I think the crumbly parchment look, seems too old for a 1930's map. I'd go with a cream colored or tan colored paper with a few folds, or no folds. Make it a bit "dirty" and abused. But don't go for the ancient map look, it doesn't look right to me. Otherwise good job, just my opinion.

Also through in some meridians, longitude, latitude, compass rose to dress it up a bit more. That would really make this map shine.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thanks for the tips, Gamerprinter. I am just starting out, and doing it the crumbly ancient parchment look was one of the few ways I knew how to do it. I'm at the point where I'm able to venture a little bit away from tutorials and try things on my own... but not terribly past that.

A way to justify it in game, perhaps flimsily, is that Antiquities Inc. is not a terribly successful business (at least, before the game began). I can see them only having a old map pinned up on the bulletin board. Held down with a couple rusty thumb tacks, dog-eared and torn with coffee stains on it. But maybe that's just me. In any case, the GM liked it, though I do not think he was terribly picky about what I gave him.

As for the longitude, etc, I really wasn't sure if I wanted to include that, in fear of cluttering the map, what with the travel lines and whatnot. I suppose I could have made it a really subtle tone that was only visible if that's what you were looking to see, something that could be mellow in the background, but oh well.

Also, for the record, there is a compass rose on there... part of it just got torn off.