Thread: Kaidan Castletown experiments

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Kaidan Castletown experiments

I decided I need to create a castletown map of Tsue-jo, which is located on the western main island of Kaidan, on the opposite side of the island from Gaijinoshima. This will be a fairly complex map with all kinds of intended cool features.

There's the castle (shiro) itself: dunjon (main tower), 3 concentric bailleys, with yagura corner towers and reinforced gates. There are wall sections and stretched yagura tower walls, moats, bridges. Within the castle ground will be the lords palace, which is are single and two story connected multi-buildings, located in the inner bailley.

Outside the main gate to the castle will be straight road flanked by walled and gated homes of the senior samurai retainers. All structures immediately surrounding the castle are samurai homes. A temple area beyond that. The rest of the town comprising sections divided between social castes surround the castle. The town layout itself is mazelike and part of the defenses of the castle.

This castletown will be located on an island on a river not far from its mouth.

This is the first destination in the 3 adventure mini-campaign arc called the Gaijin gift.

If allowed, I might enter the finished castletown as an entry into this month's CWBP habitation challenge. Granted I know this is for Region 2, not 1, but we'll see if a CL will allow this as an entry. Even still, I intend to use this map in a commercial product, but I don't mind offering a CC version for use by the Guild.

I'll be creating interior maps for the adventure, so the town map won't take much away as a free giveaway to the adventure anyway.

The 3D model is a bit crude and the textures on the roof need improvement, but I'm likin' the basic idea so far.

Three views: top view, 3/4 view, and isometric view...

GP

PS: I just got done reading the first book of The Tales of Otori: Across the Nighingale Floor, by Lian Hearn - really great read, and Otori castletown, as described in the book has inspired me to try to emulate that in this castletown, just to see how tough that would be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shiro-top-view.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	303.5 KB 
ID:	12271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shiro-side-view.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	612.5 KB 
ID:	12272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shiro-iso-view.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	848.6 KB 
ID:	12273  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations