Thread: The Unnamed Sub-continent

Guild Novice

Wip The Unnamed Sub-continent

Hi all,

Well Easter has given me time to put some thought into my map. Below is the latest WIP version with all the coastlines how I want them (Finally!).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sub-Continent Export.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	12284

To get this far I randomly generated continents in Fractal Terrains with just black (sea) and white (land) for colours. I exported jpegs of anything that interested me and imported those into Inkscape. There I traced them and fiddled with nodes until my eyes bled. The end result is as you see above.

I have a grand plan, all scribbled over this image on another layer in Inkscape. It would probably bore you all though so I haven't included it.

Anyway I'm currently chopping and changing my mind every five minutes about where to go from here. I want to import it into some sort of heightfield editor, World-Machine or Wilbur or something else, but I can't decide yet. Even then I'm not sure whether to hand paint the mountains on and then erode them a little bit or make up an erosion mask for areas that I don't want to erode too much and then let the heightfield editor go to town on it. If anyone has a better idea I could really use the direction.

I'd expect this one to be a long WIP. I really want to go overboard with this one and build up a whole history etc.

Any way all comments welcome.
    Aiden

I like the shape, the shape, I like it. Any particular cartographic projection in mind?

Guild Novice

Thanks, unfortunately shape is pretty much all I have at this point.

The scale I have in mind for this is just a little bit bigger than New Zealand, or two British Isles, so I figured projections wouldn't end up causing me too much bother.

The point of this is that I don't really want to detail the nearby large continent. I'd rather just say that there is another landmass nearby that invasions come from.
    Aiden

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The shape is very interesting - kind of looks like a dagger/knife with a very wide blade.

Looking forward to see where you take this.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    The shape is very interesting - kind of looks like a dagger/knife with a very wide blade.

Looking forward to see where you take this.

I see a chili pepper, actually
    "The medium is the message." -- Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbreaker View Post
    I see a chili pepper, actually
    Maybe it's a knife coated in the juice of (magic) chili peppers so hot that it'll melt through stone? Could be fun.

-asp