Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boreas Gunship Deckplans WIP

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Makes me wish I could do sci-fi stuff...I'm a complete illiterate in that area. Nice nice nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    To answer Talroth's and Steel General's questions about the exterior - sorry, but I don't have any plans to do the outside view (at this time at least). Drawing spaceships isn't really one of my strengths.
    BOO!! HISS!! BOO!!

(Just kidding)
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    BOO!! HISS!! BOO!!

(Just kidding)
    LOL! Believe me, if I tried to draw what the ship looks like on the outside, people would be booing and hissing.

Actually I'm aiming for these maps to be RPG system neutral so if someone wants to use them in their Star Wars game, they can describe the ship with that in mind. Same for a Traveller, Alternity, or what-have-you SF setting. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Okay here is the Lower Deck of the Boreas Gunship.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boreas-lowerdeck.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	669.9 KB 
ID:	12382

I've tweaked the Middle Deck again.

Name:	boreas-middledeck.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	656.9 KB 
ID:	12383
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Guild Journeyer

Minor nitpick on the lower level. Your mess hall is smaller than the galley? Usually things are the other way around.

Missile storage: Are they loaded from an exterior hatch, or is each one carried through the ship from the central ramp?

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    Minor nitpick on the lower level. Your mess hall is smaller than the galley? Usually things are the other way around.

Missile storage: Are they loaded from an exterior hatch, or is each one carried through the ship from the central ramp?
    Good point about the galley. I guess I've worked in too many small kitchens in the past that I unconsciously wanted a bigger kitchen. LOL! As for the missiles, thay are loaded from below via an exterior hatch. Thanks for the tips, Talroth.

I've revised the Lower Deck map with the above ideas in mind.

Views:	197 
Size:	670.6 KB 
ID:	12385
    Cheers,
    Tim

Guild Novice

And another one! You're on fire, man! Keep those coming!

Cheers!

Thanks for the comment, giantacroyear. I'm still at it.

Okay, here's the final upper level.

Name:	boreas-upperdeck.jpg 
Views:	554 
Size:	593.7 KB 
ID:	12463

I've modified the previous maps slightly as well so here the updated versions.

Name:	boreas-middledeck.jpg 
Views:	1276 
Size:	663.9 KB 
ID:	12465

Views:	1982 
Size:	681.9 KB 
ID:	12466
    Last edited by Turgenev; 04-14-2009 at 11:59 PM.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Guild Journeyer

I really like it. Well done.

My only question is, did you calculate your crew compliment? Are they hot bunking or do you have enough space for them?

I tend to find things like spaceships that start with an exterior hull, and then cram things in, do develop an odd feeling of things being placed in less than idea positions. Personally I tend to mold elements in a 'soft' form, rough spaces for rooms, starting with the command deck, engineering, and primary purpose items (Cargo/Weapons). From there I start with main corridors linking them, and primary airlocks. Then start adding secondary functions and support functions, resizing and relocating things to fit.

This way you can keep a general 'class shape', such as max sizes for a given docking bay, and balance things easier.

Hopefully by the end of this summer I'll have the framework for a star-trader/city builder PC game up and running. Really looking forward to more stuff from you. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Talroth. To be honest, I usually guesstimate at the crew number. In this case, I'm assuming the various barracks have bunk beds and the named crew quarters fits 1 each (i.e. captain, first mate & doctor). Then I usually assume a number from minimum to maximum. In this case, I would say maximum crew allowance is 55. I usually allow room for some redundancy in crew numbers (there would be various shifts to keep the crew fresh). I also take crew number ideas from comparative real naval ships and various spaceship designs.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12