Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Crypt of Lamarin

Wip The Crypt of Lamarin

So, I needed a crypt to go with my graveyard map... I really wanted to push the edge with this map and see if I could really hone some effects. With that in mind, please let me know if it works. For example, the room on the far right is suppose to be flooded (to the ceiling) with the stairs being the exit to higher ground.

The great house which the Lamarin family belongs to, long ago forgotten the exact location of the obscure family branch's tomb. Despite it's crumbling appearance though, the crypt still holds tight the most revered members of the ancient Ghoul pirate family. Designed by the house cartographer, the crypt also holds the great treasure of the family: the Razor Claw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lamarin.jpg 
Views:	2859 
Size:	624.9 KB 
ID:	12319  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I like it, and I certainly think you should consider entering it into the ICE crypt contest.

I don't read the room on the far riht as being flooded. I like the dappled light you've got, but the russet brown gets in the way of seeing this as water. Perhaps something a little bluer?

Love the ship!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking nice - I agree w/Torstan about the water though, something isn't quite right.

Ditto about entering it in the I.C.E. contest
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm diggin it too. I'm assuming you are going for a brackish/dirty kind of water but I don't really have much in the way of advice to help with that other than two layers, one is kind of light teal and the other is kind of brown and maybe something like fish swimming around...something to give visual hints.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It looks really good and atmospheric.

Am I missing something? Is there a crypt entrance? Even a backfilled one?

Sigurd

Love the map. Would use it in my own campaign if I could figure out the VTT grid size.

On the water: Yeah I wanted it to be brown and muddy. I'll test it with a blue hint to help with the visual clues. I also want to try and add more "ripple" to the layer below to help obscure the objects on the ground.

@Sigurd - Yeah, I actually forgot about the "main" entrance. The players will be entering by way of the flooded room in the northeast. I'm planning on putting the collapsed entrance in front of the two statues at the south.

@Phantos - The grid size should be 50 px

Thanks everyone!

Holy crap, you're right. That's awesome!

Added the caved-in entrance and some cracks for added creepy effect.

I also added a ripple layer under the water, blurred the objects in the water slightly and tinted it blue. I'm not sure how much I like the blue, but if you guys think the effect is better, I'll try switching it back to brown.

On submitting to the ICE competition. I like the idea, but I've used several objects from Dundjinni users, and I'm not sure what the rules are for thier usage.

Let me know what you think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lamarin.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	614.7 KB 
ID:	12377  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the water much better now.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast