Thread: April Entry: [Region 1] [Map 7] Gorsmering

Guild Novice

Post April Entry: [Region 1] [Map 7] Gorsmering

This will be my first attempt at digital cartography, it's been over 20 years since I made any kind of fantasy map!

When I read about this months competition I quickly came up with an idea, just didn't know where to put it. After some discussion on this forum, with particular thanks to Redrobes I have chosen to create the frontier dock town of Gorsmering in Thrubmorton Fens.

Gorsmering sits in the marshy delta south of Knightstomb, and provides a trade link between Skolvendun and the Thrubmorton interior.

----

There are five Inns: The Golden Claw, The Half Full Crucible, The Bandy Sprite, The Lizards Head and of course Gorsmering Arms.

----

As well as providing a protected waypoint for it's client merchant ships Gorsmering is home to various trades including an apothecary, an alchemist, a basket maker, a blacksmith, a cooper, an armourer and an off the wall alchemist currently engaged in studying the commercial and military uses of marsh gas.

----

The small Gorsmering town militia, known locally as Swamp Rats have succeeded in partially pacifying the local Lizard men and banditry through a combination of cunning, bribery and brutality. There are still occasional random attacks on the town, but this only serves to keep the Rats in employment.

---

Despite being primarily a stockaded port, Gorsmering is surprisingly self sufficient in food with several fish ponds, vegetable gardens and a snail farm.

---

I think I'll leave the background there for now and get on with drawing the damn thing.

Blog Entries

Cool... and Barry - Wales ! Not a million miles away too. There's a link on my sig for the guild members map so stick a pin in and see who is your closest neighbour. Your location would be about -3, 52 or so... i.e. remember the -ve cos everyone forgets it.

Guild Novice

Cheers Redrobes

I will add myself to the map.

Do you have one of those 3d views of this area so that I can gauge the terrain a bit better. Those river valleys look quite steep to my untrained eye.

Blog Entries

This is the best I can get at short notice. The terrain around Snap has been increased in res and I could do similar in your area too. Basically its quite steep but not precipitously so.

Edit - a second image. You must ignore the cliff like edge to the swamps its supposed to fade into them getting boggy and then marshy and then watery
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-14-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Guild Novice

Wow, that's excellent, just what I need.

Thanks a lot

Guild Novice

What scale is the map?

Blog Entries

The whole tile is approx 600mi x 600mi but in reality its stretched and not square at all being on a globe n all.

Anyway, given that it was a 600mi square here is the map with 10 mile squares on it.