Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1] [Map 16] The Islands

Wip [Region 1] [Map 16] The Islands

I hadn't officially been given the go ahead to do this, but since I was just sitting here with nothing to do, I put an hour into a quick mapping of the terrain.

I'd never tried mapping with photoshop so I thought I'd give that a try.

I'll do more with this tonight. Well, that's if I am given permission to do area 16.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Islands1.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	12469  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Not bad at all.

Did you check the 'abandoned area' thread in the CWBP forum?

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess I should check the thread myself
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Here's a semi-final product.. very much open to suggestions.

It makes the most sense that the islands are the home of pirates, due to the rich trade ports to the north.

In response to the pirate threat the City States of Akron have built a staging area for their navy at Coldrock island. Little has been done to take control of the Kouver islands, however, due to the natural reefs that surround the islands and prevent all but the lightest of ships from reaching the islands. Over the years the pirate stronghold has been torched and burnt to the ground, yet it always pops up in a different location on the islands, and has been nicknamed Phoenix Hold due to it's tenacity in the face of a fiery end.

The Great lighthouse is a wonder of the world, and a point of pride for the city states. A light house was built at that location long ago due to necessity, but the economic success of Akron has lead the city states to rebuild it in it's current grandiose form.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kouver.PNG 
Views:	102 
Size:	439.6 KB 
ID:	12518  

BTW, I still haven't been given the official go ahead for this.. who's in charge of this project these days?

I'm very interested in helping build a world.. I'm not so good at the mapping portion, but I tend to have some pretty great ideas as far as intriguing locations/concepts go.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Torq is the "officially unofficial" leader of this (I think )
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for reading my posts, Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Koor View Post
    Thanks for reading my posts, Steel
    He's not the only one reading, actually..

-IG

yay!

Well, how can i improve it?

I like it Koor but IMHO its a little Blah. If you don't agree with me please take this with a grain of salt. It's just an opinion.

I love the shallow water hinted at below the sea around the islands.

I think the regularity of the deep water hurts the impression. You might try some noise layers on the water. You might invent\acquire some ships or mermaids or wrecks to spruce it up a bit. Failing that a Compass Rose would be really nice and maybe a scale. In the png I see a regular faint diagonal lines - the look a little like an afterthought.

You have a lot of empty ocean and without the bordering squares it seems a little weird to the viewer that your focus is where it is. Ya gotta figure thats a challenge with this square - in a way you have the best design for the rest of the map. When the squares are stitched together the rest benefits from your open ocean. When you just look at your own square by itself its a little different.

SIgurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 04-20-2009 at 04:24 AM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I like it Koor but IMHO its a little Blah. If you don't agree with me please take this with a grain of salt. It's just an opinion.

I love the shallow water hinted at below the sea around the islands.

I think the regularity of the deep water hurts the impression. You might try some noise layers on the water. You might invent\acquire some ships or mermaids or wrecks to spruce it up a bit. Failing that a Compass Rose would be really nice and maybe a scale. In the png I see a regular faint diagonal lines - the look a little like an afterthought.

You have a lot of empty ocean and without the bordering squares it seems a little weird to the viewer that your focus is where it is. Ya gotta figure thats a challenge with this square - in a way you have the best design for the rest of the map. When the squares are stitched together the rest benefits from your open ocean. When you just look at your own square by itself its a little different.

SIgurd
    THANK YOU!!!!

I've been desperate for any sort of feed back.. It's still a work in progress but I needed some guidance on where to go with it now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast