Thread: AcventureDepot's interpretation of Avena

Default AdventureDepot's interpretation of Avena

Finished a commission a while ago, made for a dungeon master who runs D&D.
    Here it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avena kartajpg.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	8.45 MB 
ID:	97899

Name:	mapmodes.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	8.28 MB 
ID:	97900
    Last edited by AdventureDepot; 07-25-2017 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling mistake on my name
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

I have to say, I really like your style. I love the texture and the colors. Great work!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I think this map is really good! For a oil-painting/watercolor-painting map it's awesome, but - I think there are some parts that could make it even better. This is merely my own opinion and it doesn't need to be true!

• I think the contours on the mouintains (red line) should be removed entirely. They look more like help-lines and ruin the overall oil/water feeling.

• I could see the river (green line) being made "oily" aswell, like a stroke that fades out closer to the mountains. At the moment, it seems too perfect curved compared to the rest of the map.

• The coastal lines (yellow line) are too obvious. Maybe they are supposed to be borders, but once again, they really take away the feeling of the map.

Well done!

Name:	x07683.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	489.7 KB 
ID:	97901
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Thank you both : )

Will look into the pointers you made Obbehobbe.

My continental border have become thinner and thinner with each map. I guess its soon time for them to be gone altogether. Its quite a fast style to make tho so its good for cheaper commissions.
    Regarding rivers I try different styles each time, some are jagged and this one turned out like this.

The lines in the mountains could be better. Removing those altogether without a replacement would make it worse IMO, I wished for some lines to help the eyes to see whats happening, where the mountain is so to speak. The lines could be made more jagged to fix it.
    Last edited by AdventureDepot; 07-26-2017 at 02:17 AM.
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureDepot View Post
    Thank you both : )

Will look into the pointers you made Obbehobbe.

My continental border have become thinner and thinner with each map. I guess its soon time for them to be gone altogether. Its quite a fast style to make tho so its good for cheaper commissions.
    Regarding rivers I try different styles each time, some are jagged and this one turned out like this.

The lines in the mountains could be better. Removing those altogether without a replacement would make it worse IMO, I wished for some lines to help the eyes to see whats happening, where the mountain is so to speak. The lines could be made more jagged to fix it.
    If you look at the small picture I pasted - locate the red circle at the mountains - and just above that circle is a mountainside with no line. The "line" is instead a highlight infront of a shaded part of the mountainside, and I think that is a nice solution. Instead of a thin line, make a little brighter highlight.
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

I really enjoy your style and I think Obbehobbe has good points here.
    I'm not so fond of the borders, a bit too present, imho (maybe a lower opacity and a smaller widht?).

I really like your use of colour, it's so vivid! It really gives the map another dimension.