Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waystation

Guild Journeyer

Post Waystation

Since this was my idea i feel obligated to post a something.

I am still working on it but here is a unmaned waystation that i have in my campaign. They placed these along major trade routes as places to rest when foul weather hinders traffic. Their are heavy wooden benches and simple wood pallets for sleeping. Their are no doors and everything is spartan except for anything left over from other travelers. Their are also no windows to help keep the heat in.

I am still messing with it and comments are helpful

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waystation.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	12481

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This would make for great bait for a bunch of highwaymen...wait for someone to stop in for the night then come in and take all of their stuff The theory reminds me a bit of the Tolnedran hostels in the Belgariad, though more spartan.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

One translation of the Gospel of Luke is not "there was no room for them at the inn" but "the inn was not the place for her". Inns (as seen in the same documentary that gave me this translation) were nothing more than two bracket shaped walls like this: [ ] that people could pull their caravans into for the night; somewhere around four to six firepits, the entrances relatively easy to guard, no roof that I'm aware of, no rooms.

Really BAD place to give birth, in other words.

The idea I get is kind of like being able to pull your wagons into a circle, only without the wagons.

You want I should describe the "manger"?

What would be even better, Peaceheather, is if you submitted an entry to the competition

It's a good start Xyll, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. More textures would be nice but would change the look of it though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's a nice map already, but has oodles of potential.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Thanks for your comments.

I thought of having a fenced in area in front of the building but then i thought of what I had in mind for it. In my world the Duke sends road patrols along the major roads from town to town. I was built as an emergancy rest stop for them but he left it open for anyone to use.

Also i realize my monitor at work where i have been playing with this is terrible. The colors are not what I see on this monitor when I see them on a real computer. So I really gotta find time to work on this at home

Guild Journeyer

This is more along the lines of what i wanted

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waystation.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	617.8 KB 
ID:	12542

One suggestion, smudge out the big scratch on one of those tables. Or at the very least, rotate it differently. It seems very unnatural to see two tables with the same large lightning bolt shaped cut in their surface.

Guild Journeyer

You ever get so frustrated at something you just wanna delete it and start over. I have been messing with this design and I feel like i can not make it right. Maybe it is my lack of artistic talent. I can tell what looks good but have no idea how to get their

I know EXACTLY what you mean, Xyll.
    Just do what I've done - post what you've got, ask some questions, get some feedback and modify. Repeat as necessary. The learning process is far more important than the competition. I've picked up loadsa new skills while I've been modifying my drawing.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast