Thread: Tutorial coming

Post Tutorial coming

I've been a bit stuck on this tutorial, finally cracked it tonight.

Make a map like this in under an hour and it's pretty much non destructive so you can edit it to your heart's content, coastline shape, textures and all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	good one copy.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	12483  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That looks great man. Can't wait for the tut.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Map like that in less than an hour!!! I cannot even decide my textures to be used in an hour

Post Looking forward!

Looking forward to this one Ravs, I wonder what software you used?

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Er ah..the bad news is that it's only works with layer styles (Photoshop)...I don't think Gimp supports layer styles yet, although not sure. I'm hoping to post up the tut over the weekend.

Map like that in less than an hour!!! I cannot even decide my textures to be used in an hour
    LOL Pasis, I'm the same...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great job Ravs!

Looking forward to giving the tutorial a whirl or two.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Love it! Mtns are fantastic. Be quick bout the tutorial plz!
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Question In what format will your tutorial be posted?

Hello, Ravells.

I must say that is a very impressive map -- especially so since you created it in less than an hour!

I was wondering what format you'll use to post your tutorial and if I will have the chance to create a .PDF document out of it?

I'm looking forward to your tutorial. Thanks for being so generous in sharing your talent with us.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

There is nothing particularly original about the tutorial (as you will see). The mountains are just a combination of Genetica textures and Soixante's mountain tutorial (told you it wasn't original!)

Because the whole map is driven by layer styles (the only layer colour used is white) and layer masks, it's a cinch to change textures by just changing the pattern in the layer style (see below) - this amendment took about 1 minute.

Breaking up the textures and fractalising the coast and rivers is just a combination of my favourite jiggle filter (now available free!) and gaussian blurs.

It's so easy it's ridiculous. I'm hoping the more photoshop literate members will be able to add to it but the best part is that if you want to map sections of a large area, you can just duplicate the map, keep the same textures and have an adjacent area with all the same hues and tones.

Vandy, thanks for the offer but I'll probably do the tutorial as a pdf anyway so I won't have to upload dozens of images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	good one copy1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	12511