Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Erion

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    This is looking pretty good.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Very artistic looking map and you have used some nice fonts!
    Repped.
    Thanks! Thanks for the rep, too. :3

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    VERY NICE!! my one complaint is that you might want to add some color or more shading to the "light" side of the mountains around Shan. Right now, it looks a lot more like a cliff down into a large depression than mountains ringing the area. Of course, that could just be my eyes tricking me (as happens quite often....), but it took me several seconds of hard staring to figure out they were mountains....
    It's not your eyes tricking you, you're absolutely right. I may have gotten a little lazy around that area and didn't go over those parts as well as I should have - part of the downside of using a brush rather than drawing them in myself. Thanks for letting me know. I 'll get to fixing it.

Although...
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    ...a cliff down into a large depression...
    ...that's kind of cool, too.... *ponders*

Edited the map! How do the city/town icons look...?

You might have to full view it to see them well....

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

They look good to me, seem to fit pretty well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks very pretty - I love the style.

The forests could do with being isometric like the other details in the map. You've done this with some but not others. Your compass stands out as being underworked compared to the rest of the map. I'd also suggest trying out warping the labels along paths. This will blend them into the map a bit more. Right now they stand lout as being quite stark because they are perfectly straight.

There's a little river weirdness as well. Many rivers are getting lost in your forests and I can't see where they go. You also have a stagnant lake - lake Worvash. I'd be interested to know what's happening under the Zelai label too - it looks like your river forks into two separate branches.

I like the town and city labels - they blend into the map beautifully.

I love the font, and thanks for the link. I have now wandered over there and acquired myself a whole new set of typefaces to play with.

Great first map - welcome to the guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    They look good to me, seem to fit pretty well.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Looks very pretty - I love the style.

The forests could do with being isometric like the other details in the map. You've done this with some but not others. Your compass stands out as being underworked compared to the rest of the map. I'd also suggest trying out warping the labels along paths. This will blend them into the map a bit more. Right now they stand lout as being quite stark because they are perfectly straight.

There's a little river weirdness as well. Many rivers are getting lost in your forests and I can't see where they go. You also have a stagnant lake - lake Worvash. I'd be interested to know what's happening under the Zelai label too - it looks like your river forks into two separate branches.

I like the town and city labels - they blend into the map beautifully.

I love the font, and thanks for the link. I have now wandered over there and acquired myself a whole new set of typefaces to play with.

Great first map - welcome to the guild.
    First off, thanks so much for your detailed comments! I've still go a long way to go when it comes to making maps.

Yeah, I know the forest isn't isometric... I've been fighting with that, but honestly, I really like the way it looks and can't really see a way to make it fit better. D: I don't want to draw in trees, especially since the ones I have look so pretty, (to me anyway...) haha.... Still, I'll play with it and see what I can get. I think I saw a tutorial somewhere around here that had something I might try.

The compass probably is a little underworked. I really should redraw all the icons (including the cities) bigger (so I can resize them), and/or with a smaller brush. That will give me a little more room for detail in all of them, but I was afraid of killing the hand-drawn look.

Thanks for the idea about warping the labels. I'll try that! Unfortunately, one of the reasons the font doesn't really blend into the map is because unlike everything else on the map, it isn't hand-drawn.... When I'm done getting all the labels into place, maybe I'll trace them by hand on another layer with one of the calligraphy pen tools. I'll probably try a couple filters on them after I rasterize them to make them look less perfect, though, before I go that far. How would you suggest warping them? To follow the general curves of the land and whatnot?

I agree, my rivers are very weird. I probably need to just redraw them and unweirdify them in general.... They're getting lost in the forests because the forests are on top of them. I'm not really sure what to do about that. I guess I'll see how they look after I redraw them, and then see where I'm at....

And yep, Lake Worvash has no rivers to it. All the exits to it are underground. Now that might be fun to map later, too....

Zelai... the river doesn't fork, there are two of them, and they're weird and bendy. Another example of rivers that I need to redraw, so thanks for pointing it out to me. That's another reason I never really drew labels much, though... sometimes they cover up too much stuff.... D:

Your welcome for the fonts! He has some really fantastic ones over there

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12