Thread: That Crazy Latitude in Fractal Terrains!

Question That Crazy Latitude in Fractal Terrains!

Somebody mentioned this to me in another thread, but I wanted to get some more information if possible. In my Fractal Terrains creations, each one invariably has this single line, maybe just a pixel or two, running vertically down the length of the world from pole to pole. The editing tools actually sort of "bottom out" at this edge-if I hover a tool there, the round brush defaults to a half-circle instead. There's no way to edit what happens at this edge, and in my current world, what happened there is a massively deep ditch that filled with water, attracted all the rivers in the region, and seems to be the point from which all my horizontal-river oddities extend.

I partially solved the problem with some global tools, but specific ones didn't work. I'm ignoring the place as I'm tracing my FT file anyway but is there a trick or two for managing this latitude of weirdness?

The tool shape outline clips at the -180/+180 longitude boundary but the tool value paints correctly across that boundary. There was a problem with earlier versions that caused one column at the ege of the image not to be painted. This problem was resolved in one of the beta versions, but you have to ask ProFantasy tech support for more access to that bit of software.

My recommendation has always been to put that edge condition into an ocean somewhere and don't mess with it (just like our good friends the British did here on Earth).

As an aside, latitude goes from pole to pole (up and down) while longitude goes around and around (left to right). To help you remember this, the long lines that go horizontally are lines of constant latitude or latitude lines.

Yup. It's a pole-to-pole line, a latitude line, that I have. It's been on all the maps I've tried to edit so far. It does different things on different maps; for instance on the last one the terrain was fine but it affected the climate patterns. Look at my WIP file and you can faintly see the ditch running North-South in the left hand section of the map.

I'll check my version number but I just got the program upgraded two weeks ago! Further, the tools clip all the way up and down the map there. I haven't noticed any similar problems accross a longitude, so I must already have the patch you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Girltron View Post
    Yup. It's a pole-to-pole line, a latitude line, that I have. It's been on all the maps I've tried to edit so far. It does different things on different maps; for instance on the last one the terrain was fine but it affected the climate patterns. Look at my WIP file and you can faintly see the ditch running North-South in the left hand section of the map.

Surely if it's a pole to pole line it's a longtitude line?

Duh, I'll shut up now and go look for that patch.

You have to ask tech support for it; it's not yet a publicly-released item.

And ask them if you can share it with another person you know having the exact same problems - if it solves your problem!