Thread: Help with PS Elements 6

Post Help with PS Elements 6

Hi all,
    I've been a professional cartographer and GIS Analyst for close to 20 years, but reading and looking at the wonderful maps here, the bug has bit me to try and create some fantasy maps just for the pure fun of it.

I use Esri's ArcInfo every day, but I wanted to try and create the maps in a copy of Photoshop Elements 6 I have installed. I'm just on the edge of starting to try and make a map with alot to learn about the software, but I did run across a question I haven't been able to answer yet and I was hoping someone here could help.

I see a vast array of textures and tiles and symbols many of you have created in different file formats I'd love to use, but I haven't found out how or where to import them into PS Elements so I can use them.
    I appologize if this has been covered somewhere before as I haven't been able to find it on the site.

Also, is there a tutorial for any map creation in PS Elements on the site?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
    Todd

I went from PSE 4 to PSE 7 so I might be wrong but I open up the pattern I want to use as a normal pic and save it as a pattern using the edit menu. As far as a mass import of all our stuff I would have no idea.
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard Cannonball!

I know a few others besides Bohunk use PS Elements - but I don't know of any specific Elements-related tutorials.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the welcome and the info!
    I opened the JPEG up in PSE, but I can't find any option to save it as a pattern or texture.
    I would think you should be able to import it to a texture folder or pattern forlder that would keep it as an option for filling a polygon, but I can't find any reference to that sort of thing.
    I know in ArcInfo you can import symbols or font to a specific folder to use later.

I'll keep looking around
    Thanks,
    Todd

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

If the menu setup is similar to the full-blown Photoshop, then it should be under EDIT > Define Pattern
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I just got home and took a look; after opening the pic go to the edit menu and "define pattern". I am able to define pattern in one instance of PSE and use it in another instance without reopening PSE.
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps