Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Canada

So then I will say HELLO and THANK YOU to you guys and almost neighbours. :-)

I will look into the Profantasy software. Sounds really good so far. Will let you know how it works for me, soon. :-)

If, by chance you're a student/teacher/professor, you should also qualify for huge discounts on some software from Adobe if that's a route you want to take. I think of the Adobe Design Collection (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, and Acrobat) as the best tool set I have purchased for my computer. I was able to justify it though, as my photography business "paid" for it. If you check out the UVIC computer store, I believe they have pricing online for student versions.

Alas, ProFantasy doesn't give you such discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
    Alas, ProFantasy doesn't give you such discounts.
    Let's not start comparing prices between ProFantasy and Adobe

In a battle for price The Gimp wins anyway. It can do most of the things Photoshop does and it's free
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Ha...sorry, not meaning to start any battle. Just provide options. Myself, I happen to use adobe, FTPro, and several other programs for my various graphical enterprises. Different tools for different tasks. The key is to not try to do surgery with a spoon.

@ guyanonymous

Thanks for that advice. It's really appreciated, but no, I'm not a student or any of that. In fact I'm gonna be an old fart, soon. :-)
    I still have the Photoshop CS3, I use for all kinds of stuff. But since my graphic card blew and I have to deal with a oldtimer card (32MB - the good one had 512MB) there is not a lot I can really use for the next while. :-(

I just tried the DEMO of Fractal Mapper ... looks like a nice one, but the DEMOversion doesn't give you so many possibilities and tools.
    I also looked on the Profantasy page ... definitely something I have to try out, too.

Thanks guys ... hope I can soon show you a map of my own ...

Mayk

Blog Entries

Hi MayK,

First off welcome and 2nd, theres a map link in my sig for member locations so add yourself there and see how close you are to these guys.

In our panels on the left is the software we use and theres a few posts about what software as forum lists. Its pretty diverse but the majority here use Gimp, followed by Photoshop and then CC3 and then by the time you get to me your into the more obscure areas...

My advice has always been to look over the maps - esp the finished section and see the threads to some of the maps you like and look at what software they use.

Also, dont forget to check out the CWBP which is the fantasy guild world. Thats got some areas mapped in some detail. Again I have a index on my sig for that too. If your after posts about a particular bit of software then use the forum tags or theres a keywork index also in my sig. That sig is pretty useful yeah ?

Hi Redrobes,

Thank you. I added myself in the map and had a look at the other links you told me about.
    Good to know, very helpful.
    Thank you!

Mayk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12