Thread: Salutations from Shadow World

Post Salutations from Shadow World

Hello all - I've stopped by this site a few times, but am now finally embarking on a project that has been a couple years in coming.

I purchased CC3, along with a few add-ons, a couple years ago but had not yet devoted the time to it. I've recently picked it up again and started working on my projects. I also own Illustrator and Photoshop but was interested in CC as mostly a time-saving device.

The project I've started is to create several maps for Terry Amthor's "Shadow World", originally published by Iron Crown Enterprises. I'm currently working, with Terry's input, on creating a Player Guide to SW and am trying to load it up with as many graphics and pictures as I can.

While SW did have some good maps, I don't ever feel like it had enough. So I'm looking at creating a series of maps that will convey a variety of information: racial populations, languages, trade routes, roads, political borders (both old and new), climate, Essence flows (particular to SW), etc.

I'm basically combining all the various information from all the SW books and putting everything as separate layers onto one base map for each continent. If all goes well I'll eventually make smaller regional maps as needed. For now I've started with Jaiman and have got the base map traced using the original maps as reference, along with rivers and simple contour lines.

While I'd really like to go with the Fenlon style (for obvious reasons), it's not well suited to these continental scales I'm starting with so I've decided to go with the Par Lindstrom Fantasy Worlds style from the Cartographer's Annual 28 (April '09). I had started fiddling with using some of the relief techniques, and also trying to better replicate the look of the existing Jaiman map but realized I could easily get sucked into spending months upon months doing this. Getting a unique look would be nice but the trade off is time spent. I've got many layers of info to add, and still lots of work to do on the non-map portions of the Player Guide....

Great looking resource in these forums here though. I'm planning on posting WIPs as I go and hopefully get good criticism. I want to make these maps the best that I can since they will be used for publication for a fairly well known fantasy world and I think the community here will be a great resource.

- V

Post Welcome!

Hey Vroomfogle! Welcome to the Guild! Post a sample map of what you are trying to do - we'd love to see! Check out some of our tutorials, check out are maps - try to learn something!

(Everyone, this is one of the moderators from the I.C.E. website!)

Again, welcome!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Yeah, post up what you are trying. A few of us CC3 users here can then offer insights to achieve certain things
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.