Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Canada

Post Hello from Canada

Hello everybody!

I've found this forum about 3 hours ago and went through some posts. I love it and had to sign up.
    A view words to introduce myself:
    My name is Michael, I'm since 2006 in Canada (Victoria, BC). Actully I'm from Germany, the deep south, Bavaria, close to Austria. If you know the King's Castle "Neuschwanstein", then you know where I exactly come from.

I was always interested in History and Maps. Mostly I like the Middle Ages. Since the Lord of the rings I'm totally fascinated by the idea to make own maps and create almost own worlds. Yes, I know, I'm a bit slow :-). Kinda bad thins is only that I'm really in need of my computer to do this, because painting and drawing with my own hands is not really what I can do.

Well, I'm still looking for software, that fullfills my needs to make "real" looking maps of almost everything, from little villages, up to big cities and whole countries. Yeah, I know I'm crazy, but it looks like I'm not the only one here. :-)

Oh, I don't wanna forget to thank these people who started this forum and keep it running. I wish I would have found it already years ago. But anyways, great work you do ... keep it up!

Mayk

Oh, sorry guys ... I'm also looking for software to create houses and/or floorplans.

Mayk

Welcome Mayk!

I would look into the Profantasy software suite. With Campaign Cartographer 3 you can create overland maps, with City Designer 3 you can create towns and villages and with Dungeon Designer 3 you can create floorplans, dungeons, houses, etc.

Of course there's other software out there, so look around the forum as well.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome fellow Victorian!

Thank you guys ! :-)

And thanks Gandwarf. I will have a closer look into that software.

Guild Journeyer

Welcome to the Guild! I am just across the straight on the Sunshine Coast, and i believe Neon Knight is in West Van... out west coast influence is growing!

For houses and floorplans consider Sketchup. The free version from Google is actually very powerful.

If you know the King's Castle "Neuschwanstein", then you know where I exactly come from.
    Must have been nice to live in a castle .

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 04-17-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Welcome to the Guild Fellow Canadian AND Fellow British Columbian (I live just across the Georgia Strait from you in Greater Vancouver).

I will echo Gandwarf. But, initially all you will need is CC3, it can do a LOT of what you need already, but if you can afford it, I would suggest bundling the three packages together (CC3, CD3, DD3) and maybe think of the symbol sets and Annuals, as they are great additions.

Otherwise, again, welcome to the addiction!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Lathorien View Post
    Welcome to the Guild! I am just across the straight on the Sunshine Coast, and i believe Neon Knight is in West Van... out west coast influence is growing!
    Close, I live in Burnaby
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast