Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karnorthe

Guild Apprentice

Wip Karnorthe

I have been working for some years (sometimes seems like centuries) on my fantasy world of Karnorthe.

Recently I erased a continent from my world map and have been gradually remapping the rest of the world. However I need some help to determine ocean and wind currents on the revised world. I have assumed that the world is basically Earthlike, roughly same year, slightly higher temperature though. There are no land masses under the poles, and the dominant feature is the mountain range running east-west on the big central continent (heights around 18000 - 25000 feet) which I assume will have a major impact on climate in the area.

The attached hammer projection is basically just a sketch of the world as it now is. If any want to see the original it can be found at. Perhaps people could download the jpg, sketch the currents on it and reupload it to this thread?

http://karnorthe.skaran.net
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hammer1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	12534  
    Happiness is knowing your mapping software won't crash partway through an operation.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I haven't got the foggiest idea about currents and climates so I'll just say that this looks good to me so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I've got an awful lot on my plate already, but here is an existing thread (by altasilvapuer) that might help you out some;

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4971

And then, of course, there is Geoff's Climate Cook Book, which might be of some help as well;

http://www.compulink.co.uk/~morven/w...t/climate.html

GW
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 04-17-2009 at 08:44 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Apprentice

Some interesting stuff there. It will certainly help.
    Happiness is knowing your mapping software won't crash partway through an operation.

Guild Apprentice

Wip Karnorthe

In the meantime, while trying to work out the ocean currents here is a picture of the world as seen from space. You can see how the main continent of Ethryn dominates the hemisphere.

And next to it is the continent as exported from Fractal Terrains into Campaign Cartographer 2 with some labels added. This was done some time ago and I have now come back to work on it, but I though some of you may like to see how it progresses from the start.

Name:	karnorthe1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	12583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ethryn1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	343.6 KB 
ID:	12584  

Guild Apprentice

Post Karnorthe

Here is my first attempt at showing principal ocean currents with the normal prevailing winds over the top (the short stumpy arrows) in addition some additions and alterations to the standard Fractal Terrains to CC2/3 output.

Name:	hammer2.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	597.9 KB 
ID:	12651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ethryn2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	339.3 KB 
ID:	12652  

It seems like you've followed the default prevailing winds, with no allowance for differences between sea and land. Are you doing wind patterns later?

Not that I'm saying it's not alright, I've basically given up on climate making.

Guild Apprentice

I will be doing the winds next. Over most of the planet "default winds" will probably be fine due to lack of land masses. Over Ethryn the big mountain range will block some of the westerlies. This range is nearly 26,000 feet in places (highest 25,975 ft). I picture this as producing cold air which will flow from the North East direction joining up with the North East Trades further south over the Sea of Shareale. This would give me a warm current flowing in the opposite direction to the prevailing cold air above. (Tornadoes?)

It looks to me like things are starting to come together rather nicely so far. Not being a CC2 user (or user of any version of CC for that matter) I'll refrain from comment on that part of things, but all in all, it's looking good to me.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Apprentice

Wip Karnorthe

Here is an enlargement of the region around the Kalsaar mountains showing what (I think) the mountain range would have on the prevailing winds in the region. The Westerlies striking the range are deflected north west and south east. Where they interact with the cooler easterlies rolling down the mountain slopes. To the north polar easterlies hitting the range are turned further east uniting with a westerly air flow over an ocean current rotating in the reverse direction. This would be slowed to some extent as a result of interaction with the air flowing in the opposite direction. (Of course this is just my opinion, what we need is an on-line climatolagist on this forum to sort out this sort of thing)

Name:	hammer3.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	548.2 KB 
ID:	12851  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast