Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fractal Terrains - Export is cutting of the bottom and top of my maps

Post Fractal Terrains - Export is cutting of the bottom and top of my maps

I'm getting frustrated here with Fractal Terrain Pro.

I spent about 3 hours last night trying to export multiple files for my map. Alas, every combination is producing a map missing the bottom and top 15% or so of my map (an estimate). If I get a "primary" image that actually shows it all, the subsequent zoomed in modes are missing the bottom part. Clicking on the bottom of the image simply links to, well, the file above what I want it to link to.

I've tried every combination of horizontal and vertical pieces from a 1:1 ratio to 12:9 (which usually !? gives me a primary whole map image that looks right) and to 12:12 and 12:16. None of them are #$@$@#$ working right.

On my previous experiments, this wasn't an issue as my land mass didn't extend into this range and I didn't really notice.

I've been trying to export both in jpg and bmp mode under multiple files.

At least on the zooming in to this amount gets rid of the painful rivers issue - though not on the overview map.

For a version of software at this level, I think these sorts of issues are pathetic.

Any suggestions? Tips? cures?

Signed,

Peeved in Preoria. Well. Victoria.
    Last edited by guyanonymous; 04-04-2009 at 11:28 PM.

Can't say that I've ever had that problem except when checking the "Use View as basis" box when exporting. When that box is checked the multiple file export has done a few funky things on me, much like you are describing. The best solution I've come up with for that is to leave that box unchecked and just export with 0 percent overlap and a fairly high image resolution (i.e. somewhere in the 1024 range). The only problem I've found with that is that there are, on occasion, seemingly beveled edges to the images which can be a pain when trying to merge them. Waldonrate is, however, the resident expert on FTPro, so perhaps he'll be along to take a look at this thread and offer some more info regarding your problems.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I definitely find the problem worse with that checked...but it hasn't been checked since the first 30 minutes when I realized what I'd just rendered out was useless.

Sigh

Thanks though for the suggesiton - hopefully it's something simple that I'm not seeing. Basically, it seems the output is only to the extents of the equirectangular size ratio. Except when it extends beyond that with a few thousand pixel long blocks of white above and below the map.

Could you post a screen shot of your settings just before you actually start the export. I'm trying to remember if I've ever encountered that problem at any other time, and the only thing that comes to mind is that I might have encountered it when changing the files wide and files high settings to something unusual or using something other than the equirectangular projection. Not sure if it will be of any help, but here are the typical export settings that I've used in the past.

GW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export settings.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	12057  
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Yep - the size ratio is the same as the equirectangular projections.

Name:	test.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	12058  

I've tried it with the files wide and files high ratios changing dramatically from 1:1 and up as I said.

And I've tried it a couple times set to 2 levels etc. And at the default 2/2.

I've never found that the mass export tool was all that helpful to me. FT output is generally used as the basis of something else and generating huge numbers of files that have to be hand-manipulated alway seemed like too much of a pain.

I have not been able to track down the source of the multi-file export issue. What projection are you using for the map output? And, of course, what version are you using (Hold down Shift and do Help>>About to get the full version number).

Miller cylindrical is the one I'm wanting to use and trying to get working.

And I'm using v2.3 of FTPro.

p.s., thanks to all of you for trying to help - I'm sure I'm just missing something simple

I'm just guessing here, but it looks like you are trying to get more or less square map portions rather than rectangular portions. If that is the case, you might try using the Equirectangular Projection and export as multiple files with the following settings as defined below. You'll want to adjust the resolution to something that suits you, but the settings below will give a result of 8 square portions at the deepest level (32, 128, 512 and so on for additional levels of depth) and shouldn't cut anything out. Of course, the overall aspect ratio will still be 2:1 if you take the time to put all the separate images back together as a single image. If I remember correctly, I've had similar problems when trying to export using both the Miller Cylindrical and the Mercator Projections. I don't remember for sure if I've encountered similar problems with the other projections, but there are times when it seems as though the export as multiple files feature is very much geared towards a default of Equirectangular. Hopefully this will help some.

GW

Name:	export settings2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	12065  
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 04-05-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Ratio, not ration. Doh!
    GW

This is what I've determined I'll have to do (pending a solution). It's just not that acceptable of a solution to me. When I buy a program, I think it's reasonable to expect it to work in all ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast