Thread: April Entry: [Region 1][Map 16][Phoenix Hold]

Post April Entry: [Region 1][Map 16][Phoenix Hold]

Ok, first thing's first, this town may not actually exist, since the zone map still has not been approved for the wiki ( http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5178 )

However, since I have some spare time, I thought I'd try mapping one of the towns I added to the zone.

The concept is that the town is a pirate town that periodically get torched by a vengeful navy. When that happens, the residents simply scatter into the trees and rebuild elsewhere on the island. I'm thinking i'll make several versions of the same map, all detailing different degrees of rebuilding. This map is how the town would appear 6 months after rebuilding began. Key points of interest are the Pirate Captain's house in the center of town, "The Crow's Nest" Inn located between the docks and the town, and the docks which are hidden in a cove.

I created this using Dundjinni to map the background (grass and water) since its tiles are much better looking. I then imported that png into CC3 (with CD3 and DD3) and mapped the town. This isn't done yet, but I thought I'd post my WIP for opinions.

Im still trying to learn dundjinni and CD3 (as well as DD3) CD3's icons are a pain in the arse to find.. I had to exit the program and do a windows search just to figure out what folder they had their dock tiles hidden in.. which oddly enough was symbols/cities/cd3/bitmap b/walls (Why the heck are docks in with Walls?!)

I still havent been able to find a ship or ship deck icon.

Along with this I'm thinking i'll map the Crow's Nest Tavern for the Challenge Lite (neither of which I'll win, but I'm trying to improve my mapping skills and I really like the idea of the CWBP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phoenix Hold.PNG 
Views:	128 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	12555  

Oh and I have no clue why the roofs and roads became dotty when I converted to PNG

Did you save from CC3? That tends to make maps grainy.
    Let me know, I might be able to help.

It's a decent map by the way. I like the layout. However, them being pirates and being dependant on the seas, I would have expected the town to be closer to the docks.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Yes, I saved it from CC3 as a PNG.. didn't know any other way to convert the map file from the cc3 format to png.

The purpose in having the town away from the water is so that it is more hidden. The trees between the town and the water are an effort to prevent naval vessals from spotting the town during the day, or the lights at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Koor View Post
    Yes, I saved it from CC3 as a PNG.. didn't know any other way to convert the map file from the cc3 format to png.
    You can use PDF Creator (free software), see this thread on the Profantasy forum:
    http://forum.profantasy.com/comments...scussionID=607
    (Simon Roger's post of 11 dec 2008 )

That way you can export some very clean looking maps.

The purpose in having the town away from the water is so that it is more hidden. The trees between the town and the water are an effort to prevent naval vessals from spotting the town during the day, or the lights at night.
    Very good explanation, never mind my comment then.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Awesome find, Gandwarf! I'll have to look into that, since I too have been crashing alot lately when trying to save as a png or jpg.