Thread: Wharfmaster Manor

Map Wharfmaster Manor

Here's one I did for the folks over at the Paizo boards. I referenced it in another thread and Gandwarf thought it deserved a thread of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    ...You should think about showing the image in a seperate thread on this forum. That might convert some more people to Sketchup...
    So here you go. I did the grunt work in Sketchup and mashed up the different levels in Photoshop. The curvy bits were a pain, but I now know how to do them. I've also been learning about the "sandbox" feature for the landscaping (even though it's mostly lost here). I thought the external view came out kinda' bland, but I think it's just a texture issue. I'll have to work on that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WharfMasterManor.jpg 
Views:	589 
Size:	537.9 KB 
ID:	12564  

That's very cool. Have some rep.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

I am glad you gave this baby its own thread. Beautiful work.
    I can't wait to pickup Sketchup again. Right now I don't allow myself to map
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Journeyer

Looks very cool. I would add rep, but I've already done so recently I guess.

Few design issues:
    1. Front steps, would make more sense to have them leading toward the door, not away from it.

2. A very large storage room on the THIRD floor? Is it a public 'make work' program to hire labourers to haul junk up through the entire house, including the dining room?
    Shove storage down to the first floor, and move the other parts in that area up one floor each?

3. Is there a reason why there is a door at the top of the stairs from the kitchen, leading into the bathroom, and not the drawing room?

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    1. Front steps, would make more sense to have them leading toward the door, not away from it.
    That never occurred to me. Makes sense when you stop and think about it.

A very large storage room on the THIRD floor?
    I was treating it like the old attic at the top of the manor. Let the hired help worry about the grunt work.

Is there a reason why there is a door at the top of the stairs from the kitchen, leading into the bathroom, and not the drawing room?
    That's just a boneheaded mistake on my part. I can't believe I stuck that door on the wrong wall.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good stuff, love some good SU work. Guess that means I'll have to bonk ya with my new +8 bonker.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The problem of the storage room on the third floor is easily solved. There could be a crane there! Lots of the old merchant houses in Amsterdam had storage on one of the top floors and they used wooden cranes (that were part of the house) to get the stuff from the canals to the storage rooms.

(edit: I don't think they were actually cranes, but I can't seem to find the correct Dutch word for it, let alone the English word - it was more a hoisting system).

(edit 2: see the top window in this picture: http://www.travelpod.com/users/chron...house_2003.jpg )

(edit 3: ok, it was called a "Hijsbalk" or hoistbeam)
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 04-19-2009 at 05:57 AM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very cool! I dub thee newly repped *bonk*

Any plans to do the ancient building that appears in the cutaways of the interior?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.