Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GIMP experts? Horribly crashy and slow

I've been having problems with GIMP crashing too, with only minor operations running. I have seen the topic come up over at the GIMP forums, and from what I can tell, it seems to be a fairly common issue with ver. 2.6.6. Several folk have posted, as well as myself. So far the GIMP lords haven't seen fit to address it in any of the threads I saw. Hopefully they have taken note and are taking steps to fix it in 2.6.7. In the meantime, if you can get your hands on 2.6.5, over at sourceforge or somewhere else that hosts it, that might help. Hope so!

Hm, that's helpful. At least I'm not alone. I kicked the resolution down on my image and left it at that, since I was planning on eventually vectorizing it in Inkscape and editing there (I've already done this, actually). I would have been happier to preserve more detail than re-create it, but whatever. For what I'm doing now I'm not unhappy. Before I use GIMP for anything intensive, though, I need to figure this out or get a patch, when offered. I already checked my environment preferences and changed them to correspond to my system; I ran it with my virus/spyware programs set to "gamer mode", and that probably helped too. What irks me is it was NOT a large file to begin with.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

No, this is not normal behaviour for Gimp. I'd certainly try to get your hands on an older version of the 2.6 line. I'm on 2.6.4 and having no problems at all. This certainly sounds like a bug.

Blog Entries

I think if this were me and were talking windows machines here I think then I would go get the SysInternals suite and use its process viewer to see whats happening on the PC when its running. That version is better than the built int ctrl-alt-del process viewer by a long way.

It sounds like there is a resourcing issue whether real or fake. It would be useful to know whether its CPU bound or memory bound or whether its paging stuff out when its going slow. You can get at all these details using the viewer. You need to get the PFDelta (page file delta) thats how many pages it did in the last second or whatever time slice your doing. You need the overall RAM used (the Working Set) and the CPU time is always given as a default. Are you able to show some of these values when it near hangs. The PFDelta is likely to be showing the problem tho.

You might also check if your using an anti-virus. Maybe unplug from LAN and switch it off temporarily and see if that helps. For apps which constantly save files to HDD then the AV has to check them continuously and that can be done at the kernel level (because root kits can override the check) which involved more hoop jumping and slowdown.

Still, could be a stright up Gimp programming issue tho but best to check whats going on first.

All good advice. I'll probably do this at some stage, like next time I need GIMP and it acts funny. For the current project, I'm past the raster stage now and don't think I'm going to be needing it much at all. I do think I might go to an older version for comparison's sake.

The Windows version of Gimp 2.6.6 is clearly buggy, and that is a Windows only problem, on Linux work as should

I suggest simply to revert to 2.6.5 here a direct link
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gim...i686-setup.exe.

You will not loose anything, 2.6.6 do not offer any new feature, was intended only to fix some little bugs still in 2.6.5 , but in this case and again only for Win, bugs where added instead then fixed

...could be a stright up Gimp programming issue
    seems not on Linux works as should, and as far i know also on MAC, so should be the build not the code
    Last edited by PhotoComix; 05-01-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoComix View Post
    seems not on Linux works as should, and as far i know also on MAC, so should be the build not the code
    I would suspect the build. I have built 2.6.6 from source under windows XP and MinGW and it has been running quite solid for me (and surprisingly, it seems faster than the pre-compiled build.)

-Rob A>

I have built 2.6.6 from source under windows XP and MinGW and it has been running quite solid for me (and surprisingly, it seems faster than the pre-compiled build.)
    You did what ..???

Oh please RobA, if you do again for the next version could you do me a GREAT FAVOR ?

I do no pretend you doing a tut for that, but if you only may grab CAMSTUDIO ( www.camstudio.org/) and made a Video-grab of the process you will make me really happy !!

Doesn't matter how will be big the file, i may arrange for upload/download even gigantic files.

( But in case you will do a guide i may assure you will be automatically pinned on top of the Gimptalk tutorial, and translated in italian for gimpitalia.it )

Sorry fot the OT but are years that i wish to build GIMP on Windows but i never find a decently detailed and updated info )

Again for me if you just may start CAMStudio as soon you start the process, and you stop it at the end...i believe that will solve
    Last edited by PhotoComix; 05-02-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoComix View Post
    You did what ..???

Oh please RobA, if you do again for the next version could you do me a GREAT FAVOR ?

I do no pretend you doing a tut for that, but if you only may grab CAMSTUDIO ( www.camstudio.org/) and made a Video-grab of the process you will make me really happy !!

Doesn't matter how will be big the file, i may arrange for upload/download even gigantic files.

( But in case you will do a guide i may assure you will be automatically pinned on top of the Gimptalk tutorial, and translated in italian for gimpitalia.it )

Sorry fot the OT but are years that i wish to build GIMP on Windows but i never find a decently detailed and updated info )

Again for me if you just may start CAMStudio as soon you start the process, and you stop it at the end...i believe that will solve
    well... I basically followed the wiki.

The hard part was getting it to compile with python support

I'll go back to my notes and see if I can work out the trickier bits.

-Rob A>

Finally that wiki was updated!
    I stop monitor that page time ago because was totally obsolete, but now seems more then usable!

I will try soon, first i have to clean up a bit my PC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12