Thread: Hello! New here (although I already made a map)

Post Hello! New here (although I already made a map)

Hi everyone!

My name is Erik and I am a total newbie at this. That being said I'm quite creative so I think I'll do well here.

I drew this in a couple of hours in Paint. I know that's not exactly the most advanced software ever, but it's a starting point. I'm uploading a jpeg of my map, though I do most of my editing in a bmp format to minimize the loss of quality.

I'm looking to make a decent, scientific-looking physical (terrain, climate, etc) map as well as a political map, similar to physical and political map one sees in an atlas. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which software to use?

Thanks, and I can't wait tp keep you guys updated on my progress. Also, while I think the general shape of my world is done, I welcome any comments and suggestions.

Please note the map below is of a much lower quality and resolution as my actual map. The real one can be found here: http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n.../mapjpeg-1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapjpeg.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	12664  
    Last edited by emistal; 04-21-2009 at 10:28 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

First things first !! First post...first map...first rep

Nice start on the land masses.There is a slight prob with the river/delta in the north of the east continent. The large body of water that runs down the center would be at sea level, and would not have a river connecting it to the water to the north. at this scale I would first place mountains then do the rivers based on the lay of the land.

Just my two cents worth there

As for the software, there are a few tutorials in the Tutorial Forum that deal with atlas style maps. Check them out to see which one you like best and look at what they are using. We also have a Software Forum where all kinds of questions are answered on that subject. I have been surprised before to see what Paint can do, and is you want to stick close to that, you should look into Paint.Net. We have a few members who are using it and might give some pointers along those lines. (Peace-Heather. I am looking at you ).

Most people around here use one of three programs: Gimp, Photshop and CC3 (and its add-ons). The tuts for Gimp and Photoshop are more or less interchangeable, but most of the tuts are able to give pointers as to what is possible if you can figure out how to convert it to your program.

Another thing you should do is start a WIP (Work in Progress) thread in the appropriate forum and continue to post your progress there. You are bound to get plenty of pointers and suggestions as to what works and where you might have gone off track. Be not afraid, cause we don't bite.

Much.

Last edited by Korash; 04-21-2009 at 11:52 PM.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Have a second dosing of 'rep' *bonk* for including a map in your opeining post, I'd double rep you if I could for having the patience to do anything in Paint.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild! My advice is to get Gimp and start working on it for your maps...I think paintnet is good for what one can do with it, but more limited in the end.

Good to have you here!

ravs