Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tartarus - Prisoner Transport Deckplans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip The Tartarus - Prisoner Transport Deckplans

I've been re-watching the first season of Blake's 7 and I got the idea of drawing up a prisoner transport ship. Here's my work in progress for the prisoner level of the ship. I still have to add some more details here & there but this should give you an idea of how it is going to look. The next level will be the ship command and crew area, hyperspace drive, a couple defensive weapons, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tartarus-lowerdeck-v1.jpg 
Views:	1348 
Size:	534.7 KB 
ID:	12629

I picture the cells to have an energy barrier as a door. Each cell has a small area where food (or food tablets) are dispensed and a small area for waste removal. The cells are otherwise spartan in nature. The solitary block has no food dispenser and has only a drain in the floor for waste removal. The cells hold 1 prisoner each with each cell block holding 25 prisoners for a total payload of 50 prisoners. The purpose of this ship is to transport prisoners to penal colonies/stations/what-have-you. This ship could also be used as a slaver ship.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

For some reason I kept reading this as 'Tardis', and I was thinking... "Oooh he's doing Dr. Who stuff now, how cool".

Then I read it more carefully and had to give myself the proverbial *smack to the forehead*. Another great plan Turgenev.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

LOL! Well, I am a HUGE Doctor Who fan so you never know. Actually any of my ship plans could be used in the Doctor Who universe set in the earth's future. Many years ago, I mapped out the TARDIS that my own Time Lord character had so maybe that is an idea for something to recreate in the future.
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Go ahead map the Tardis.... I want to see the _inside_ ...

Sigurd

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Guild Journeyer

Wouldn't mapping the Tardis inside be like mapping the 666 layers of the abyss?

Very nice map BTW

Quote Originally Posted by Xyll View Post
    Wouldn't mapping the Tardis inside be like mapping the 666 layers of the abyss?
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyll View Post
    Very nice map BTW
    Thanks Xyll.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Guild Journeyer

I've always wondered why cell doors in Science Fiction are always something that fails when the power goes off.

What ever happened to good old METAL doors and bars? Like really, a metal door, with a metal lock bar, does NOT easily open if someone trips the wrong breaker.

But I like the layout for the most part, but I think you should be able to cram far more criminals in there.

My personal favorite method for holding inmates for sci-fiction transit is in small life support pods. Stack them in like cord wood, and if anyone manages to get too wound up in their small coffin sized cells, then just lower their life support levels till they go back to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    I've always wondered why cell doors in Science Fiction are always something that fails when the power goes off.

What ever happened to good old METAL doors and bars? Like really, a metal door, with a metal lock bar, does NOT easily open if someone trips the wrong breaker.
    That's a good point and one I'm going to think about.

But I like the layout for the most part, but I think you should be able to cram far more criminals in there.
    I could see anywhere from 2 - 3 prisoners per cell. I assume slavers would fill the cells to max capacity. The cells are 5 ft wide and about 7 - 8 ft long. In the final write-up, I will probably include a range of prisoner capacity (i.e. 50 - 100 prisoners).

My personal favorite method for holding inmates for sci-fiction transit is in small life support pods. Stack them in like cord wood, and if anyone manages to get too wound up in their small coffin sized cells, then just lower their life support levels till they go back to sleep.
    My wife mentioned about putting all prisoners to sleep in cryogenic pods but I mentioned that the power requirements were too high and expensive and it was cheaper to treat the prisoners as rodents in a cage. I picture this prisoner transport ship as having various security measures set up including gas flooding the cell block rending all unconscious.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    My wife mentioned about putting all prisoners to sleep in cryogenic pods but I mentioned that the power requirements were too high and expensive and it was cheaper to treat the prisoners as rodents in a cage. I picture this prisoner transport ship as having various security measures set up including gas flooding the cell block rending all unconscious.
    Well, you stuff them into prisoner sized boxes, stuff a feeding tube down their throats, a few "collector" vacuum tubes up the needed holes, and provide just enough O2 to keep them from actually dieing. Chill them a little by a heat exchange on their O2 line that goes near a cold side of the hull.

A design I'm planning to use in a computer game, basically if you're not wealthy, the only way to travel is like that, possibly with come tissue stabilizing agents used to keep people from aging. Poor passengers would be handled the same as bulk containers! And be really screwed if someone messes up paperwork and stuffs them in the back of a warehouse for fifty years or so.

Re the prisoners escaping: I think that the reason why is because many books / films would be very boring if the prisoners did not escape.

Great plans, Turgenev! I could rep you all day for these but it won't let me for the time being!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast