Thread: City of Yprath

Post City of Yprath

The City
    The small City of Yprath exists to host the most senior college of seers in the land. Two of the most potent lay-lines known often cross beneath the island on which the College was founded. The city is nominally under the suzerainty of the Emperor of Great Maern, but the arrangement is less secure than the Emperor would like to admit.

Inspiration
    I wanted to attempt to recreate a map in the style of a 16th century German engraved atlas. This meant that most of the final artwork was done by hand using a tablet. Only a few things are cloned - most notably the trees and a few of the tower tops and buildings.

Software & Hardware:
    - Sketchup for the architecture of the city itself

- Photoshop for texturing the paper background and throwing on a few filters at the end

- Fireworks for the taxing job of tracing the Sketchup output and adding in the landscape.

- Probably 98% of the final product was created with an Intuos tablet. It made drawing *so* much easier than with a mouse.

Thanks
    To the folks who offered some very worthwhile suggestions in the WIP thread.

[Doh! Original file replaced because somewhere along the way between versions I accidentally deleted some battlements. Fixed now!]

KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CityofYprath.png 
Views:	555 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	12639  
    Last edited by Kingbreaker; 04-20-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Minor Error - Some towers were missing battlements!nor
    "The medium is the message." -- Marshall McLuhan

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I love this map Kingbreaker! I really do. Must have repped you a couple of times now, but have some more rep. Crossing my fingers for a featured map here. It's a really unique perspective and style that I haven't seen on this forums (recently). The water is a lot better in this version.

The only small point of criticism: I would have liked to see you do something to the roads. They feel a bit empty at the moment.

Darn, I want maps of my own cities that look like this
    So much to do, so little time...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Congratulations on creating such a wonderful map and piece of art - both in keeping with the time period of that style! I love it.

Congrats on a beautiful, and evocative map!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    The water is a lot better in this version.
    You can thank my GF for that - she pushed me to try a different style. She actually deserves a fair amount of the credit for improving this beyond what I would have settled for - the horizon line and the final contour of the lake were her ideas too, along with some of the finishing effects. I'm a pretty lucky guy

The only small point of criticism: I would have liked to see you do something to the roads. They feel a bit empty at the moment.
    I agree - if the urge ever strikes to monkey with this some more, that's the first thing on the agenda. Not for a while though ;P

So much to do, so little time...
    Indeed!

My next masterplan will be to do very modern, very FAST maps with NO hand drawing or tracing whatsoever!

"The medium is the message." -- Marshall McLuhan

Love it, well done! It really feels like Giotto or Dante could be around any corner.

Blog Entries

Very beautiful map. Love it, love it.

This is a great map. It always glads my heart to see people doing different styles of maps, especially those that are historically inspired.

Awesome map. I immediately thought of some antique maps (of major European cities) I saw in a castle in the Czech Republic, and this would fit right in. Again, awesome stuff