Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are you playing?

Bump... just to get people talking some more.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Klaatu varata nicto!

Rise, thread! Rise and live again!

I'm new here, but this being such a friendly community, I thought I'd introduce myself properly.

My current system of choice comes from Unknown Armies by Greg Stolze and John Tynes. I've adapted it for a fantasy setting and am currently running a play-by-post campaign with it. I'll GM or play pretty much anything I can get my hands on, although I tend to enjoy "narrativist" games more than the other types. Unfortunately, I have few friends close by, and very little time to game, so I feed my addiction with board games. I'm hoping to pick up Battlelore soon.

I am 31 and married with no children. Our first wedding anniversary is this month. I am living in Wichita, KS right now, but my wife and I both want to go to an art/technical school in Denver next summer, so I won't be here much longer. She's going into graphic design, and I want to get into visual effects for film or television.

I am interested in history, games (obviously), music (I play percussion and a little bit of both guitar and piano), sci-fi and fantasy in any form I can get them, reading and writing, kung fu, comparative religion (I am a Protestant Christian), mathematics, and probably quite a few other things that do not occur to me at the moment.

I am the webmaster for the Christian Gamers' Guild, and the public relations coordinator for Fans for Christ.

I think that pretty well sums me up.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Unfortunately, I have few friends close by, and very little time to game, so I feed my addiction with board games. I'm hoping to pick up Battlelore soon.
    Just FYI, I felt the same way--for over a decade--then I took a plunge on OpenRPG & it has allowed me to play once again (once a week, even!). There are plenty of these sorts of virtual tabletops out there--you may want to check them out!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

You can get a good start by going here:
    http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/links.html

And then scan down the page for "OTHER VIRTUAL TABLETOP PROGRAMS"
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Bump... just to get people talking some more.
    Sure, I'll bite.

I got into gaming a few years back, via Star Wars d20 and later, D&D. Fellow in my town was running some games over the summer while we were all home from college, and I really sank my teeth into it. Got to be really good friends with the GM, started running my own games, etc.

I started writing my campaign world shortly thereafter, and it's been a work in progress for about five years now. School has kept me too busy to make very fast progress (I'm a graduate student in music theory, and teaching classes as well as taking them), but I make my progress slowly and steadily. I'm not really affiliated with d20 any more; my project is currently drifting in search of game-mechanic underpinnings.

I don't really play much these days. I was in a few IRC-based games in the past year or so, but in all cases, I had to quit due to lack of free time. Unfortunate.

Post GURPS Rocks but I will always have fond memories of my D&D Days

I had played D&D and later D20 games for nearly 15 years before being introduced to GURPS. I have been happily converted and am currently involved in a cinematic, extremely high magic, high technology game loosely modeled after the RIFTS campaign setting. Recently, I was also involved in a low magic Greek mythological game that was a great time. We play bi-weekly at my place, sometimes with the aid of a projector focused on the game table.

My love for maps has been derived from my youth of gaming and equally from soldiering and having to had rely on maps on a daily basis.

I am a mid-career Soldier seeking a commission at a public university. I reside in the Orlando, FL area with my terrific wife (who also games with me).

Interests consist of physical fitness, philosophy, current events, soldiering, and maps.
    "Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."

Atlas Shrugged authored by Ayn Rand

I game via the Internet and Fantasy Grounds II almost exclusively now. I have abandoned D&D since the announcement of 4.0 and have started using Savage Worlds. This system is by far the best I have found for Internet gaming and perhaps face to face as well, though I have not tested that yet.

I am working on material for a set of adventures focused around a single city setting. I look forward to learning and helping others here if able.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I've been playing D&D in its various incarnations from basic and 1st Edition in '88 (at the tender age of to 3.5 today. I've tried a few other systems as a DM and player (MERP, Call of Cthulhu, Ars Magica, Warhammer and D20 modern) but I keep coming back to D&D. I run two regular campaigns, one with a group I started in University back in 2000 which is still going strong, and another with a group from home. Both are run almost exclusively using maptool, an excellent free VTT that I highly recommend. The game I run is a pretty standard Forgotten Realms, classic D&D style campaign. I allow the players to pick from most of the expansion books and try to figure out how to design a world that would work with that much magic in it. It's challenging, but a lot of fun, though things are starting to slow down a bit now that they've hit 13th level...

The reason for getting into map making is solely due to having to use maptool. I hadn't drawn anything in Gimp until a year ago. I've had to use maptool because my work took me from the UK to Poland. I'm a high energy physics research fellow at Warsaw University trying to figure out what dark matter is, and what will happen when we create it for the first time on earth (probably) when the Large Hadron Collider starts in spring...

The round of postdoc applications are coming up again and we (girlfriend of 8 years and myself) are trying to decide which country to visit next - with the states being high on the list. Other than work, I like drawing and painting, playing squash and sailing. I used to fence but that's turned out to be tricky in Warsaw. Oh, and I'm 27 as of yesterday.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thanks!

If it disappears in a puff of nothing then a lot of theories are very wrong We might get mini black holes though (they will evaporate away in fractions of a second) which would be cool. Though if they appear then the theories I work on are definitely wrong.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast