Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Village

Post Small Village

Another small village. This is the start of a larger scene.

Road leading fromt eh village will go to a small castle which i plan to do next.

Again, this is done in Vue, so I am including a wide angle perspective view as well.

enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flat village.jpg 
Views:	2401 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	12641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flat village side view.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	12642  

How long did this take you?

I notice everything is on a basically flat plane. How hard would this be on randomly generated hills?

This is really really pretty. I like it more than your previous scene.

Makes you wonder what gamers, even the table top variety will demand in a couple of years. The desktop computers seem to be scaling..... interesting times.

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 04-20-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Glad you liked it.

I actually started it on a hill, and decided to move it to a flat terrain to fit with the next one I have in mind. It is faily simple to generate and use hills.

Total time to generate including building the masks was about 3 hours, give or take a bit.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Another piece of sweetness there PF. I'd do something about the tiling on the road tho.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yup gotta agree about the tiling, just a bit of a hiccup for an overall nice piece of work
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Updated the Road

Ok - Good comments on the road. I wasn't sure I liked it either. See what you think of this texture.

Name:	Flat village updated raods.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	12662  

Texture is much better, but maybe the roads are a bit too perfect.

If this is a rural village I don't think they would have perfectly manicured road edges. Perhaps "rough" up the edges a bit.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

An excellent suggestion. Here it is with the edges roughed up and blended into the surrounding terrain.

Name:	Flat village updated roads v2.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	12683  

That helps a bunch I think.

It's good, but to me the thing with the roads is:

1. Why are they so wide? I see no evidence of Carts, or other conveyanced to necessitate such wide lanes.

2. Why do the roads/lanes go so far past a door? Especially around the church. People (and animals for that matter) use routes/paths of least resistance. It is why there are game trails in the wilderness, becuase it is easier to walk on.

My suggestion (and it's only a suggestion) is the side lanes leading to indivudual buildings would be more narrow and maybe only go as far as a doorway, and maybe around the side (to a wood pile or something). Beyound that, the paths would not see as much traffic and therefore not experience as much wear.

Otherwise, I like it.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast