Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slope tileset (WIP)

Software Dev/Rep

Ceraus, very cool

As a thought, you might grab Wink, which is a free screencast tool, and record yourself whipping up a quick map with your textures, that would be pretty cool

Guild Apprentice

That's a good idea. However...

MapTool is mean to me. For some reason, even though map objects can be brought to the front, sent to the back and put anywhere in-between, it's not saved. So when you start the program again, some cliff tiles are randomly moved under slope tiles. I have no idea how to circumvent the problem.

Slopes will do fine regardless, but I lose the possibility of having slopes right next to cliffs. Well, unless I make tiles specifically for that... which I might have to do anyway, as slopes over cliffs can't be done with the current tiles. Ah well, problem circumvented, in some way.

With essentially positive feedback, I'll keep the general slope design, although I might make some change to the slope "texture" before I start all over. I also intend to make a base tileset (what's been released so far) and an advanced one that includes even more slope configurations for maximum flexibility. I realize that some people might just want to use the slope tiles to make printable maps and don't need to worry about memory issues.

But for now, I'm still on break, especially after the MapTool aggravation. Hit a roadblock with path tiles, too, so I've been relaxing with beach maps. I'm not decided on the look, though.

Tiling the sand/water edge while keeping those gradients is going to be such a headache...

EDIT: I'm really incorrigible. I did the whole beach work in 64px. Good thing it's nowhere near to final.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	badMapTool.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	13106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beach.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	13107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beach2.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	13109  
    Last edited by Ceraus; 05-07-2009 at 04:49 AM.

Hm... Are you dropping the tiles on the correct layer? What version of MapTool are you using? I recall that there was a bug a couple versions ago similar to what you are describing, but I thought it got squashed already.

That water is freakin' awesome! Love the look of those beaches. Great stuff!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yep, I don't find this to be the case in 1.3.b56. I have a map with lost of tiles under and over each other. They certainly remember their configuration between saves and reloads.

Those maps look amazing! I love the water. I agree that the beach gradients are going to be tricky, but you're doing a fantastic job of it. I'm impressed.

Guild Apprentice

(Apparently, I was getting behind on MapTool releases. I had no idea they pumped those out that fast. Works fine now as far as I can see.)

I switched to 100px to restart the beach from scratch. I had taken notes on the creation process, but no matter how I'd deal with the white border (as seen in the pictures above), I couldn't get it to look right. I don't know if it ever looked right.

So I kinda snapped, thrashed it and tried something else. Hit a lot of roadblocks, but I'm pleased with the first tile, which fits with itself (obviously) and should properly join any sand texture with any water texture.

Left: the tile
    Center: the snap-to-grid background texture
    Right: the result of the superimposition

Please criticize. I am looking for the following feedback:
    1. Are the sand and water textures appropriate?
    2. Is the sand -> water gradient marked enough?
    3. Does the damp sand look right?
    4. What about the foam? Does it extend far enough? Does its top edge (water-side and sand-side) look right? Is it too crooked/smooth?
    5. If you had final say, would you have anything be any other way?

Personnally, I think that the sand -> water gradient is not apparent enough, that the damp sand has something wrong (looks like a shadow) and that the foam could stand being smoother. Also, the sand might benefit from a slope, of all things. However, when you spend a few hours on something, you just can't judge it properly anymore.

So please nitpick so I can try making the definite beach tileset.

Oh, and just in case you missed it: 100px ! (Forever.)

Name:	beachtileFG.png 
Views:	3377 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	13192   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beachtileBG.png 
Views:	153 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	13193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beachtile.png 
Views:	576 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	13194  
    Last edited by Ceraus; 05-10-2009 at 06:03 AM.

Guild Apprentice

Reworked the sand -> water gradient. The tiles will be 600px thick instead of 400px.

The image on the left subdues the damp sand texture. The image on the right also has some kind of sea floor texture that fades in at some point. Dunno if it's worth the trouble.

Name:	beachtile2mod2.png 
Views:	2847 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	13197   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beachtile2.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	13198   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beachtile2mod.png 
Views:	287 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	13199  
    Last edited by Ceraus; 05-10-2009 at 07:19 AM.

Between these and the dungeon tile set, noobs like me can make some really great looking maps. Thank you so much!

Man, this is great stuff. Have you thought of sending an artwork pack to the maptools people? Regardless, these textures are great. Thanks for sharing!
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
    - Louis-Hector Berlioz

All my work is released under the Creative Commons 3 license. Feel free to use and copy, but please give credit where it's due

haha, good resolution for map tiles thats why i like working with vectors! i can just change it whenever i want! looking good!
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Guild Apprentice

Hi people, it's been a while, but I'm not dead.

Last summer, I started a "modern" conversion of D&D 4th edition, and working on it has consumed my free time instead of tile-making. Must have put 500 hours into it so far, probably more.

Once I'm done, though, I'll come back to tile-making and probably start a new topic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123