Thread: My first attempt using GIMP

Guild Apprentice

Question My first attempt using GIMP

First, I need to praise RobA for his excellent GIMP tutorial. Most of what I did was through following his direction.

I'm not happy with the larger mountain areas. The highest parts of the mountains looks flat. How can I avoid this on future maps?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tutorial 2 Flat.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	12656  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's a great lookin coastline, my intent this morning was to just surf but this one brought me out to say something. The mountains and forests need some work but I can't tell you what as I don't really know the tut by heart.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree, killer-looking coastal shape.

It seems that some people are able to "nail" RobA's tutorial and some don't. I had trouble with it myself when I tried it. Not sure why your mountains look that way, I'm sure someone with more knowledge of GIMP and the tutorial will be along shortly to give you some help/ideas.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I don't know if I'll have time to refresh myself on the causes of these features, but what you are experiencing on your mountains and forests are pretty common problems met by people using RobA's tutorial. For my part, a little more time and practice helped out immensely.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Apprentice

I figured out the mountain problem. The blur didn't work at the edges of the maps so the color was flat. Even when I added the texture, it didn't show up. I'll fix it on my next map project.

Cool peninsula. I need some River Police points, so... There's a 619 in progress at the end of the Natherian Peninsula.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

River infraction confirmed.

Rivers generally converge rather than split as they move toward lower elevations/toward the sea. Your river(s) at the northern end of the peninsula are breaking this general rule.

It also appears that the westernmost river on the mainland fails to reach the ocean/sea - unless its covered by the text and I just can't see it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

Yep, westernmost river is hidden by text. I'll avoid river splitting infractions sans explanation in the future.

I find that in general the forests from ROBA's tutorial do not look so good. You might try looking around for another tutorial. I was able to play around with color settings on mine until they looked good. I think that without the mountains and forests that this is a beautiful map. I would suggest finding another tutorial on both of those.
    Evey: All this riot and uproar, V... Is this anarchy? Is this the Land of Do-As-You-Please?
    V: No. This is only the Land of Take-What-You-Want. Anarchy means "without leaders"; not "without Order." With Anarchy comes an age of true ordung, of true order, which is to say, voluntary order...

V: This is not Anarchy, Evey. This is Chaos...