Thread: (WIP) My first world map - kind of an ambitious project

Post (WIP) My first world map - kind of an ambitious project

This is the planet I'm making. I posted an earlier version of this in the introductory forum. (The file is pretty big, so watch out. - though the file I use is much bigger :p I changed the projection and played with the colours a bit. I'm gradually trying to build an elevation map so I can use that as a template for other maps. Right now I have a basic outline of the continents and major islands. Now I have to add details.

I'm a pretty good writer (a much better writer than I am a graphics editor, for sure) and I'm putting together some short stories set on this imaginary world. It's similar to our Earth, with no aliens or monsters or magic. Think Caprica or Kobol from Battlestar Galatica - the same as us in some ways, yet different in others. The stories will span the length of human history on this planet, from late neolithic/early bronze (think Jericho or Catal Huyuk) to about 100-200 years into our future.

Like I said, I'm very new at this, so any pointers would be most appreciated. I am trying to:
    • Make an elevation map, which will allow me to
    • Make a physical map, including mountain ranges, rivers, valleys, etc and finally,
    • Make political maps of the world in different eras, with all of the different countries and major cities at the time.

I also downloaded the trial of Fractal Terrains. It seems like a pretty good terrain editor, but I don't know how to import my own elevation maps into it. If I could, I'd import this map into FT and do a good chunk of the editing there. Help in this area would also be appreciated.

It'll definitely take a while to get this done. It's an ambitious project for sure, but the world's already in my mind - I just have to figure out how to build it!

Also, I need names for this planet and the continents. Whoever picks the best names gets a cookie.

edit: I rejiggered the continets a little bit. The ocean that covers the edge of the map was too big, and the southern continent was too far to the south to be hospitable, so I moved the southern and eastern continents up and stretched the eastern continent horizontally a little bit. It looks a lot more even now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapelevshow2.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	12696  
    Last edited by emistal; 04-23-2009 at 12:15 AM.

Did you do those with tectonics? Because it looks like they could line up side-to-side in the middle, Samerica/Africa style. Anyhow looking good, and welcome to the party.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking forward to see what you do with this.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    Did you do those with tectonics? Because it looks like they could line up side-to-side in the middle, Samerica/Africa style. Anyhow looking good, and welcome to the party.
    I did indeed take tectonics into account. I also plan to draw my mountains, archipelago, etc based on the same idea.