After finding this great site and its plethora of tutorials, I started to redo my old map.
This map is the world of our LARP-Group, and the position of most features is already given (sorry about the rivers, had a few lengthy discussions concering them when I did the first map, but to no avail).
Using RobA's great GIMP-tutorial and some info from Ascensions Atlas-Style tutorial, I came up with the attached map.
Comments and critique wellcome - I will post new versions as I am able to
- height maps for the mountains, detailing each major mountain - working on it atm
- textures for grassland - not satisfied with texture atm
- textures for different forests - pine trees, leafed trees, regional differences
- textures for the mountains
- optional details (glaciers, waterfalls, swamps, wastelands ...)
- icons - some are fitting the style I want (tower, lighthouse), most are just placeholders