Thread: Has anyone seen\tried the intuos4

Post Has anyone seen\tried the intuos4

Wacom has a new tablet to lust after. Has anyone seen one up close or used one to comment???

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Will it paint my house for me? j/k

Would be nice to have one.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

It's nice ... but ...

I'm still saving for a Cintiq 21UX.

Oneday baby ... one day.
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I am now the proud owner of an intuos4 (am i the first one from the site?) I decided a> let's get a high end one, may as well start off with something nice, and I also decided to stop waiting till I can afford top of the line - if I do that I may never get one (the $5k-ish one where you draw directly on the monitor screen made me droooooool)

I am absolutely LOVING THIS.

I'm so annoyed that I didn't get a tablet years ago. then again, i didn't have the need or ability to justify the cost before, so hey.

Installation was simple and flawless, took less then 5 mins including registering online and rebooting. The bundled software looks like I may actually have a use for (demo versions of Sketchpad and Corelpainter, if i recall) - it gives the options of 3 programs to choose from, you can take 2 (the other was Photoshop elements - pointless for me since I have cs3) plus some brushes and a something else I havne't looked at yet. This would be the first time I didn't just look at the bundled software and go Meh and proceed to ignore it.

I got the 4x6 tablet, and after an hour of using it, I have to say that I'm glad I didn't get the 6x9 I originally wanted. Besides being 250 dollars more, my arm moves around a lot more now than it did with the mouse alone. Final price was 299.99, yay!

The pen precision is amazing. I haven't customized the side buttons yet, but you can use the touch ring like a scrollwheel, and swap between 4 functions - right now it's set to zoom, brush size, layer switching, and Canvas rotation, but that will change since I don't have CS4.

I played with the mouse for a few mins, but went right back to the pen. It's a 4 button mouse with scrollwheel, but the 2 extra buttons seem to be for pageup/dopwn in browsers (in front of and behind the scrollwheel). I really want to get used to the pen, so it may be awhile before I can give a proper review on the mouse.

It actually comes with 2 USB cords, one for lefties and one for righties Plus in the base of the pen holder there's 10 extra nibs with varying material equivalents to give you different feels. Haven't tried those yet

It's taking a bit of playing aorund to get used to, but i appear to be adapting very quickly, the tablet really is intuitive when you get down to it.

So far, I would say it's WELL worth the money.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Apprentice

I actually got my Intuos 4 today also - just the smaller one. Main reason I wanted to post is that this could be a fantastic deal for anyone considering buying Photoshop CS4.

The Intuos was $199 and comes with Photoshop Elements. You can upgrade from elements to the full Photoshop CS4 for $299. So, unless my math is just way off, $498 for a table and CS4 sure beats the heck out of paying $599 for CS4 by itself

Wasn't much use to me - already have CS4 Web Premium package. Wacom let you pick 2 of 3 different downloads, so I guess I'll be trying out Sketchbook Express and Corel Painter Sketch Pad (or at least downloading them and meaning to go back to them one day but forgetting they exist).

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

The corel prog isn't bad, I was playing around with it, and while it may be a lobotomized version, it fits the needs I would have for it. And it can rotate the canvas

Sketchbook seems to be a jumped up version of ms paint more than anything.

Good point on the deal with the cs4/tablet combo. Won't work out well for me unfortunately, since CS4 doesn't work on my machine

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."